Got laid off yesterday, so now it's back into the tiger pit of job applications.

Though i feel much more empowered this time. I know more about my field and have some genuine successes under my belt, as well as absorbing a lot about what people in my field like to hear.

In the best city in the country for my field, so this shouldn't go poorly (especially with one month's severance), but it always sucks to not go out on your own terms.
Ogodei-Khan said:
Got laid off yesterday, so now it's back into the tiger pit of job applications.

Though i feel much more empowered this time. I know more about my field and have some genuine successes under my belt, as well as absorbing a lot about what people in my field like to hear.

In the best city in the country for my field, so this shouldn't go poorly (especially with one month's severance), but it always sucks to not go out on your own terms.
does suck to hear about that but at least it sounds like you'll make a good recovery. Best of luck.
@Ogodei-Khan

Sorry to hear that. The severance is nice, at least. I wish you all the best in finding a new job (or hypnotizing your way into one.)
Ogodei-Khan said:

Eish. Been there. 8 months at a job and let go with no warning when I got into work in the morning. Pretty shocking and a wake up call that "company loyalty" only benefits the company (something my current boss said so I know I'm at a better place). Hope you land on your feet! I used my severance/garden leave to do touristy stuff in my city for a couple of weeks after

And my rant is I'm still not home! Flight was delayed and train was late >____>. Currently on a bus

Edit: Made it home!
Good thoughts your way, Ogodei-Khan!
(Totally didn't take me 15 minutes to get to that sentence. It's all I got, but I promise they're great thoughts.)
Ogodei-Khan said:

Unemployment sucks, but I found interviewing a loooooot easier after my first job. Hope you can get your resume pushed through terrible HR drones quick!
akaece said:
Unemployment sucks, but I found interviewing a loooooot easier after my first job. Hope you can get your resume pushed through terrible HR drones quick!
Very true! And getting interviews is MUCH easier when you have some experience on your CV
akaece said:
I got 5 applications in today. One of them at a very similar place to where i just got dropped.

Actually need to contact my old boss and see if she knows anyone there.
Youtube's new design sucks massive cocks. I DON'T FUCKING WANT MY DESKTOP TO LOOK THE SAME AS MY PHONE.
Do you ever like, "lose your horny"? I hate it when that happens.

It happens too easily, but luckily not often. When things take too long, when I get distracted by thoughts or hearing people move around in the house (mostly cuz I dread them walking in on me), or by seeing something that's the opposite of my fetish/something creepy...

Oh well, go past start and don't receive $200 ;-;
I have a very sensitive nose, I can sniff things out well before others. Which is sometimes cool but it can also suck very bad.

My mother sprayed some air freshener that she's personally fond of but I can't stand. I was asleep but the smell of it woke me up and made me so sick to my stomach that I had to take a anti-nausea pill.
Interview with a temp agency that's trying to swing me in to a good-fitting temporary position, but i'd lose a fair bit of money each month. Not crippling, but it would suck.
Nothing like spending all summer holidays fucking up your sleep cycle to the point where you go to bed at like 4am every night to then have college hours come and hit you like a bus. Doing a 9 to 5 day on 4 hours sleep is not fun at all.
Sleepyhead97 said:
Nothing like spending all summer holidays fucking up your sleep cycle to the point where you go to bed at like 4am every night to then have college hours come and hit you like a bus. Doing a 9 to 5 day on 4 hours sleep is not fun at all.
Eyyy same except I still got one week left and go to sleep at 7am.
See I only did that shit when it was *during* the semester.
Started that temp job today, actually. The commute isn't *awful*, but it's a definite downgrade from where i was before, and that's before i've seen any gasoline bills...

Got a call from a job which went straight to voicemail. I tried to call them back: "This voice mailbox is full. Goodbye."

But the new work environment seems chill, which is what you want in a temp job. Lets you look for other work.
Ogodei-Khan said:
Got a call from a job which went straight to voicemail. I tried to call them back: "This voice mailbox is full. Goodbye."
Did you call them during business hours?
Sir_Lurksalaot said:
Did you call them during business hours?
Yup. Called again today, got into the voice mail, but no reply.

Meanwhile other stuff i'm waiting for hangs me out to dry today. Did have a phone interview with somebody who said they'd get back by the end of the day and didn't.

I hate complaining because i could still just be out of work flat out, but my life's so much more of a drag now than it was 3 short weeks ago.
Good news, I managed to talk some sense into a buddy of mine and he has finally given the boot to his crazy GF. Now all that remains to do is to have him change the locks and then beat the crap out of him on Super Smash Bros Brawl so he'll feel better. And if she tries anything funny, get the cops involved.

Good news, I had a day of fun with people I (*finally*) could gather IRL.

Bad news, my mom had to set it up outside. In the sun. And the sunburn on my skull and arms will torment me for days and remind me why I hate the sun and summer.
ElisaSky said:
Good news, I managed to talk some sense into a buddy of mine and he has finally given the boot to his crazy GF. Now all that remains to do is to have him change the locks and then beat the crap out of him on Super Smash Bros Brawl so he'll feel better. And if she tries anything funny, get the cops involved.

Good news, I had a day of fun with people I (*finally*) could gather IRL.

Bad news, my mom had to set it up outside. In the sun. And the sunburn on my skull and arms will torment me for days and remind me why I hate the sun and summer.
XD congrat for having a good day and if the girlfriend was really toxic then yeah best to let go.
over the past week, 3 people decided to take vacations at the place i work, so guess who has to pick up the slack?
crazyman said:
over the past week, 3 people decided to take vacations at the place i work, so guess who has to pick up the slack?
A large blue man, wearing a fez?
Pinkanator said:
A large blue man, wearing a fez?
if that was possible id let said blue man take my workload
I really wish I could game on Linux.

I miss having a PC that boots in less than 45 seconds.

I miss the ability to bypass poorly mapped menus for an option that may not exist by typing a single command line.

I miss having a computer that never freezes or lags.

But because of Direct X which is necessary for video games, I can't have my computer running Linux.
So.... I don't know what I'm doing right now. I normally don't like people that do this. but.

Just finished with an old "friend" RPing with me controlling a family after over a month of not talking to him. Finish, have fun, tell him we should do again tomorrow. Got called about... 10-15 minutes ago. Grandmother called. Ran upstairs to mum because gran was trying to reach her. Find out my uncle died choking in another one of his seizures.

Literally a day before I'm supposed to drive 2 hours up to him to have a few drinks with him and catch up since we haven't seen each other in a year. I remember having a few fun times with him, he was always the no rules uncle and that was fun. I don't know what to do here, I'm just stunned and slightly teary eyed while Mum tries to sleep so we can drive up there. Calm down Gran and UNcle's wife.

Nothing like that to remind you death can come for your family at any time. So yeah. Vent thread and all that bullshit.
Blitz_Habanera said:
So.... I don't know what I'm doing right now. I normally don't like people that do this. but.

Just finished with an old "friend" RPing with me controlling a family after over a month of not talking to him. Finish, have fun, tell him we should do again tomorrow. Got called about... 10-15 minutes ago. Grandmother called. Ran upstairs to mum because gran was trying to reach her. Find out my uncle died choking in another one of his seizures.

Literally a day before I'm supposed to drive 2 hours up to him to have a few drinks with him and catch up since we haven't seen each other in a year. I remember having a few fun times with him, he was always the no rules uncle and that was fun. I don't know what to do here, I'm just stunned and slightly teary eyed while Mum tries to sleep so we can drive up there. Calm down Gran and UNcle's wife.

Nothing like that to remind you death can come for your family at any time. So yeah. Vent thread and all that bullshit.
Sorry to hear about that. It's a real shame to lose a family member you were close with.
Blitz_Habanera said:

My feelings go out to you its sad to lose someone be strong.
Blitz_Habanera said:

Holy shit man. As someone who wallows in their own loss waaaay too much, I hope you make it through this ok. All my fucking condolences man.
Blitz_Habanera said:

ah shit man D: Sorry for your loss
So um, to get this back down to a... way more trivial matter:
I got my first cold of the season (if you count September as autumn and not the 21st of it). Throat so sore, chest all tight - yep, this is gonna be a good'un. Bring forth the vodka to burn away the bacteria in the back of my throat!