EdgeOfTheMoon said:
Watched Annihilation yesterday and pretty much haven't stopped thinking about it since. Amazing visuals and a complete mind screw. Going to need to rewatch it again soon few things like spoiler I only twigged on to about half way though
I wanted to go vote for it with my wallet while it was still in theaters, but I’m trying to save money for a con :(
Watched the fake documentary/horror film Savageland last night, because I'm a sucker for that genre, and it ended up being way better than I expected. It's a slow burn kind of movie, with zero jump scares, but it's hella creepy regardless.

The premise, without giving away spoilers, is that in 2011 the citizens of the town of Sangre de Christo AZ, just outside the Mexican border, are all brutally murdered overnight, with the sole survivor being an illegal immigrant photographer. Due to the burgeoning political climate surrounding illegal immigration into the country, he's naturally assumed guilty of the murders, until his camera roll turns up and the shocking and unsettling photographs he took that night are revealed.
TheSpoon said:
I wanted to go vote for it with my wallet while it was still in theaters, but I’m trying to save money for a con :(
Alas I'm in England so that wasn't an option for me (It's been released on Netflix). Shame as I think it would have looked good on the big screen. On the plus side. I got to watch it in the daylight which made a couple of scenes less mentally scaring (I kid it's not that bad. Few really creepy bits and couple of scenes of some serious gore)
Last night I watched The Shape of Water with my parents. Incredible movie, cinematically beautiful, I absolutely loved it. But I didn't realize just how much nudity and sex there was in it. There is nothing more awkward than watching a movie with your parents and suddenly the lead actress removes her clothes and starts banging a fish man.
EdgeOfTheMoon said:
Watched Annihilation yesterday and pretty much haven't stopped thinking about it since. Amazing visuals and a complete mind screw. Going to need to rewatch it again soon few things like spoiler I only twigged on to about half way though
Fucking loved that movie, mate. Especially the last twenty minutes where things go absolutely nuts. Kind of surprised somebody like Trishbot or other artists on here aren't aware of the story, given that the source material that the film is based off of has a hypnosis element to it.

DarkMask said:
Last night I watched The Shape of Water with my parents. Incredible movie, cinematically beautiful, I absolutely loved it. But I didn't realize just how much nudity and sex there was in it. There is nothing more awkward than watching a movie with your parents and suddenly the lead actress removes her clothes and starts banging a fish man.
There's an R rating on the film that lists "sexual content, graphic nudity,". Read your mcfreakin' labels, ya dingus!
Contorted said:
Fucking loved that movie, mate. Especially the last twenty minutes where things go absolutely nuts. Kind of surprised somebody like Trishbot or other artists on here aren't aware of the story, given that the source material that the film is based off of has a hypnosis element to it.

There's an R rating on the film that lists "sexual content, graphic nudity,". Read your mcfreakin' labels, ya dingus!
Yeah, my bad. One day I'll learn how to read.
DarkMask said:
Yeah, my bad. One day I'll learn how to read.
You wanna talk awkward try having family member walk in during the 'rape' scene of Perfect Blue. I put it in 'marks' cause it was the par where she was making a moive.

No one came in during the actual rape scene.....not that it was any less uncomfortable.
Imasuky said:
You wanna talk awkward try having family member walk in during the 'rape' scene of Perfect Blue. I put it in 'marks' cause it was the par where she was making a moive.

No one came in during the actual rape scene.....not that it was any less uncomfortable.
That film goes on my "Never Watch Ever Again" list of movies.
Imasuky said:

When my husband and I were first dating, he came over with the movie Four Rooms to watch with me and my parents, because he thought we'd enjoy it.

The first twenty minutes feature a lesbian S&M witch coven trying to lift a spell from their lesbian S&M goddess, and they need a man's semen in order to do it.

I will never let him live this down as long as he lives. XD
geekgirl8 said:
When my husband and I were first dating, he came over with the movie Four Rooms to watch with me and my parents, because he thought we'd enjoy it.

The first twenty minutes feature a lesbian S&M witch coven trying to lift a spell from their lesbian S&M goddess, and they need a man's semen in order to do it.

I will never let him live this down as long as he lives. XD
That is...quite the way to start things off.

And you shouldn't let go of that. It's perfect for bringing up when you just want to make him squrim.
Saw The Death of Stalin today due to me needing some cheering up over not getting the position at Target.

As for the film itself, never has Totalitarianism been this funny. Easily the best movie I've seen this year so far thanks to its razor sharp wit, pacing and amazing tone (this is a film that contains utterly horrible amounts of rape and violence but also has bumbling comedy that wouldn't be out of place in a Three Stooges bit). And Jason Isaacs was easily the film's MVP.
I saw Ready Player On yesterday.

Godd daming... I wanted 1000 eyes to see all the references *ç*

Th movie is cool, not the Spielberg's best but sure a nice kid's adventure <3
Watched two movies yesterday.

-The Ritual:
I agree with YMS's 5/10. David Bruckner doing his thing to the tune of a script that's way lower-tier than he deserves.

-The Gift:
6/10. A well-made and neatly polished character-driven suspense movie that's ultimately a little boring.
Well, I don't usually watch good movies.
Birdemic: Shock and Terror, The Room, After Last Season, and anything featured on a RedLetterMedia episode.
GenericName said:
Well, I don't usually watch good movies.
Birdemic: Shock and Terror, The Room, After Last Season, and anything featured on a RedLetterMedia episode.
Then watch good ones. I will happily recommend some to you unless if you want to wallow in self congratulatory narcissism and cynicism.
Saw Pacific Rim 2 last night. I mean not a great movie, but it delivered on my desire to see giant robots fighting other giant robots and giant monsters. So I was very pleased with it.
Just finished watching Coraline for the first time in, like, 8 years.

It's good! Very well animated, but the pacing is a bit clunky. I understand that it's more about the visual spectacle, but w/e
TheSpoon said:
Just finished watching Coraline for the first time in, like, 8 years.

It's good! Very well animated, but the pacing is a bit clunky. I understand that it's more about the visual spectacle, but w/e
Laika has become better in my eyes, pretty much reaching their fullest potential with Kubo a couple years back.
Contorted said:
Laika has become better in my eyes, pretty much reaching their fullest potential with Kubo a couple years back.
Too bad they'll never make any money bc normies won't pay to see good animated movies
TheSpoon said:
Too bad they'll never make any money bc normies won't pay to see good animated movies
Yeah. :/
StepfordCrimson said:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_2018/

^ 90+% Approval rating

https://78.media.tumblr.com/d08d5fc6a1573976bd889692ebfe8c23/tumblr_p75ww6rzGG1w8ltyxo2_1280.png

Had Michael Bay involved in it.

The apocalypse is upon us isn't it?
Bay is actually a decent director when he does things he actually WANTS to do. Look at The Rock, Pain & Gain and 13 Hours. Of course, let's just boil him down to a punchline because Robot Chicken did lolz.
Contorted said:
Bay is actually a decent director when he does things he actually WANTS to do. Look at The Rock, Pain & Gain and 13 Hours. Of course, let's just boil him down to a punchline because Robot Chicken did lolz.
I still can't forgive him for what he did to Transformers and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
I actually saw A Quiet Place and forgot to post here

6/10. kinda overrated
Went on a bit of a Paul Thomas Anderson marathon starting on Friday evening and into the afternoon of the next day (with a friend who's also a fan).

First up was Punch Drunk Love, the arthouse version of what a typical Adam Sandler comedy is like and all the better for it. It's sweet and surreal and I couldn't help but be a puddle of happiness at the end thanks to the wonderful romance between Sandler and Emily Watson's characters.

Secondly was Inherent Vice, Anderson's groovy and borderline nonsensical adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon novel of the same name. Bit of advice: Watch it sober first, then stoned second. It still won't make any sense but you'll never be bored. Just go with the flow, man.

Thirdly, and saving the best for last, Phantom Thread. Like the cinematic equivalent of being snuggled by the warmest blanket you could imagine and sleeping in a dark, strange but ultimately beautiful dream. My heart swoons for Reynolds and Alma. I may not want to be in the same room with them but I wish them nothing but endless joy till the end of time.
I finally watched Expendables 3, and it was amazing.
I Just watched The Castle of Caligostro and it was pretty good. I know others say its not a good "Lupin" movie, but it's still a pretty good movie anyways.

I do have to say that I noticed an animation error, and that's never happened before.

When Lupin is sneaking through the aqueduct, he tries to swim upstream, almost makes it the first time, goes back to swiming upstream before falling into the gears of clockwork and water.

In those shots, one has a ladder while the other doesn't when it's almost the same shot. Just a Neat error I noticed.
I finished "The Longest Day" over the weekend and found it quite enjoyable despite it's age (1962, black and white) not only being action packed, filled with great actors (John Wayne, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda) but was moved by how accurate it was to the history it was trying to portray (Of course it was based of a famous book about D-Day so that makes sense)
EdgeOfTheMoon said:
Annihilation was pretty great. I really hope there are some more horror movies that take after it instead of an overuse of jump scares. Seeing it also makes me really want to see Stalker.

Contorted said:
Saw The Death of Stalin today due to me needing some cheering up over not getting the position at Target.

As for the film itself, never has Totalitarianism been this funny. Easily the best movie I've seen this year so far thanks to its razor sharp wit, pacing and amazing tone (this is a film that contains utterly horrible amounts of rape and violence but also has bumbling comedy that wouldn't be out of place in a Three Stooges bit). And Jason Isaacs was easily the film's MVP.
Yeah I loved Death of Stalin too. Probably the best movie I've seen in months. Easily has some of the best dialogue/delivery.

Besides some of the big releases (Ready Player One, Rampage, Black Panther) I saw two other pretty good ones. Beirut was a pretty good political thriller. I liked how instead of there being a huge conspiracy it was instead a bunch of different people with their own agendas.

Isle of Dogs was also really great. Though I'd say that Grand Budapest Hotel is still Wes Anderson's best movie.
strangeperson said:
Yeah I loved Death of Stalin too. Probably the best movie I've seen in months. Easily has some of the best dialogue/delivery.

Besides some of the big releases (Ready Player One, Rampage, Black Panther) I saw two other pretty good ones. Beirut was a pretty good political thriller. I liked how instead of there being a huge conspiracy it was instead a bunch of different people with their own agendas.

Isle of Dogs was also really great. Though I'd say that Grand Budapest Hotel is still Wes Anderson's best movie.
"Now, what's a war hero to do to get some lubricant around here?"

Also seeing Isle of Dogs this weekend as well! Wanted to see You Were Never Really Here with a buddy of mine but it ain't playing, so we're going with the Wes Anderson joint instead (I haven't seen it yet but he has and loved it). And of course, I'm seeing Rampage with my lady friend this Sunday because of course I'm seeing that.