Hi so i have just started to draw and I really need some advice in a few areas. like how to draw using a pad, 3d and shading, and just any general tips for anything else would be a massive help. I have never really drawn before and I may or may not still have my first and only post up still. i have never really had any formal art classes so any help would be awesome. thanks.
zarman said:
Hi so i have just started to draw and I really need some advice in a few areas. like how to draw using a pad, 3d and shading, and just any general tips for anything else would be a massive help. I have never really drawn before and I may or may not still have my first and only post up still. i have never really had any formal art classes so any help would be awesome. thanks.
I'm unsure what you man by using a pad, like a simple drawing pad or sketchbook? Fairly simply in that case. Just need pencil or pen, nicely sized blank sketchbook, and some subjects to go out and draw. Or indoors, just make a couple still life drawings with some objects you have lying around. Even if they don't look perfect, practice makes perfect for better understanding the makeup (general shapes) of the objects your drawing.

3d might be bit advanced, especially since ya posted that 2d drawing. Feel like for now, focus on that + the shading as you said. And hey, it's a good start to work off of. What program did you use to make it? And beyond that, what's your process? We'll see where we can go from there.
RedCollarBlackCollar said:
I'm unsure what you man by using a pad, like a simple drawing pad or sketchbook? Fairly simply in that case. Just need pencil or pen, nicely sized blank sketchbook, and some subjects to go out and draw. Or indoors, just make a couple still life drawings with some objects you have lying around. Even if they don't look perfect, practice makes perfect for better understanding the makeup (general shapes) of the objects your drawing.

3d might be bit advanced, especially since ya posted that 2d drawing. Feel like for now, focus on that + the shading as you said. And hey, it's a good start to work off of. What program did you use to make it? And beyond that, what's your process? We'll see where we can go from there.
well about the pad i use a wacom intuos. I have really wanted to learn how to draw for a while so I decided that the one way to do that was by spending around 200 dollars on a drawing pad and a program so that I am kinda forced to spend time learning. I agree that working with 3d is advanced at this point but do you have any tips for shading? Also the picture I uploaded was an OC and I now realize that seeing a character that I am drawing might help.
zarman said:
well about the pad i use a wacom intuos. I have really wanted to learn how to draw for a while so I decided that the one way to do that was by spending around 200 dollars on a drawing pad and a program so that I am kinda forced to spend time learning. I agree that working with 3d is advanced at this point but do you have any tips for shading? Also the picture I uploaded was an OC and I now realize that seeing a character that I am drawing might help.
It's good to take inspiration from other characters and artist's styles out there, but try not to copy them too much. Like recoloring a character's hair or just generally changing one feature about them to make it more "original"...
I don't know if that would immediately be the case for you, but just a point I wanted to put out there.

Still not sure what program you're using tho. I assume photoshop?

Before going into anything with 3d and shading, I think we need to have you focus on the basics first and foremost. In the case of your pic, the body is too simplistic. It's just a rectangle, rather than that of, ya know... A human body, with its unique curves and hills and indents and such. Obviously it doesn't need to be super complex, but definitely shouldn't be a rectangle with boobs attached to it.

Speaking of which, try and consider more about how the breasts are a part of the body, and not something merely attached to it. Same for the arms, they seem attached as well. They need to be more firm especially, and less like noodles.

Heads too rounded as a simple circular shape, as is the ends of the hair. Also, nose is bit far up her face.

Now, two things I'd suggest to do:
>Consider looking at the works of some of our respected artists here with some unique styles, be it Penken, Pastel Daemon, Keeper of Pots, DarkHatBoy, GeekGirl8, Zko, Yuu-chan, Psi, Medrifogmatio, Mezzberry, Myuk, and of course Sebastian. I'll admit, some of these artists are friends of mine I've met through the Hub; yet, I really do admire their work no matter our association. I also have a little work myself posted here, although I find it only worth checking out if you want a good laugh or your daily dose of cuteness...
As I was saying tho, take a look at what exactly defines their unique styles, such as line quality, use of colors, anatomical rendering of characters, particular facial expressions, so on and so forth. Don't take note of anything in particular and just "copy" it, but rather try and take note of the different aspects as to try something new in your work. Perhaps you wanna shoot for a particular expression, or try a new set of colors for practicing your shading. That sorta stuff's good to do.

And mainly again, just keep drawing from life. That'll really be a good way to warm up, and just let you practice your techniques and refine your developing style.

Sorry for rambling on, it's nearly 4 am. I'm so tired, haha... Hoboy...

Sidenote: Please whatever you or anyone else do, don't quote this whole fucking thing... >___<
zarman said:
SNIP
Some book recommendations - you can likely purchase these on Amazon.com or other shopping sites, though there are likely places you can get them for free if you look hard enough:

Constructive Anatomy, George Bridgman
Perspective Made Easy, Ernest Norling
Successful Drawing, Andrew Loomis
Creative Illustration, Andrew Loomis
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, Andrew Loomis
Drawing the Head & Hands, Andrew Loomis

Currently you are at the very beginning; you have to start working on your basics first. If you like to draw characters/people that's fine, but you need to learn things like perspective and form. It might seem tedious, but it'll help to practice drawing spheres, cubes, and other basic shapes, putting them in different perspective angles and lighting setups. If you can, draw/paint stuff like eggs and fruit, and draw other people if you get the chance. Once you've got a feel for drawing things in 3D space, drawing figures will be a lot easier - you can mess up on anatomy but still make something that looks good if you use proper lighting and perspective, but if you get those things wrong no amount of anatomy knowledge can salvage it.

I suppose since you purchased the tablet you might as well use it if you plan to go onto digital art, but it's generally better to start out with pencil on paper.

The best thing to remember though is to always keep trying. If it seems hopeless or you feel like you're not improving or that you suck and everyone is better than you, that's perfectly normal. Everyone goes through that ('specially me, I feel like that all the time).
Yuu-chan said:
Some book recommendations - you can likely purchase these on Amazon.com or other shopping sites, though there are likely places you can get them for free if you look hard enough:

Constructive Anatomy, George Bridgman
Perspective Made Easy, Ernest Norling
Successful Drawing, Andrew Loomis
Creative Illustration, Andrew Loomis
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, Andrew Loomis
Drawing the Head & Hands, Andrew Loomis

Currently you are at the very beginning; you have to start working on your basics first. If you like to draw characters/people that's fine, but you need to learn things like perspective and form. It might seem tedious, but it'll help to practice drawing spheres, cubes, and other basic shapes, putting them in different perspective angles and lighting setups. If you can, draw/paint stuff like eggs and fruit, and draw other people if you get the chance. Once you've got a feel for drawing things in 3D space, drawing figures will be a lot easier - you can mess up on anatomy but still make something that looks good if you use proper lighting and perspective, but if you get those things wrong no amount of anatomy knowledge can salvage it.

I suppose since you purchased the tablet you might as well use it if you plan to go onto digital art, but it's generally better to start out with pencil on paper.

The best thing to remember though is to always keep trying. If it seems hopeless or you feel like you're not improving or that you suck and everyone is better than you, that's perfectly normal. Everyone goes through that ('specially me, I feel like that all the time).
Thanks. I found pdf's of all the books and I plan to read threw them all. I know this process will be agonizingly long and tedious but if thats what I have to go then that is what i'm going to do. Hopefully I will be able to show everyone some progress in the near future.
zarman said:
First of all, the most important thing is that you like drawing. You will have to practice a lot, one of the best artists I know told me that he used to practice EVERY night for some hours when he was at school. Find a practice routine that you can handle, if you practice more than you can bear, you will get tired and become frustrated. It's alright to have some rest when that happens, but make sure to practice again when you feel better. Try to be always motivated.

For the picture that you already uploaded, I'd say that you should crop the image and just show the important part so that it doesn't look like a floating ghost, like this:
http://imgur.com/a/Zt1Lb
Then is symmetry, the left boob is bigger than the right one.

Now, some basics. Human body basic proportions and shapes. Try to use realistic proportions first, after having a basic understanding of them, you can try looking for a model drawing style so that you have a goal. While having a model style, that doesn't mean you should copy everything from it, since the model artist you choose can make mistakes too, try to look for different references when you see something looks off (preferably realistic references). At some point, you will have different opinions from your model style, you will be able to change them as you want so that you create your own style.

Also, the heads are easy to learn, the hands can be understandable after some rigurous practice, but the most difficult part will be the overall anatomy on more complex poses. Never stop drawing whole bodies, you will always have something new to learn on different poses.

For shading, you will have to have a clear understanding of the volume you are trying to draw. Set a source of light, and shade the parts on the opposite. I started just doing cellshading and then tried doing some more complex things.
Hey guys so because of all the help I got yesterday I decided to stay up all night and work on something with some of the help I got from you guys. here it is. http://zarman1.deviantart.com/art/The-Raven-And-The-Snake-660617298?ga_submit_new=10%3A1485820311 Tell me what you think and if you think it's good enough to put up on the hub. Thanks.
zarman said:
Hey guys so because of all the help I got yesterday I decided to stay up all night and work on something with some of the help I got from you guys. here it is. http://zarman1.deviantart.com/art/The-Raven-And-The-Snake-660617298?ga_submit_new=10%3A1485820311 Tell me what you think and if you think it's good enough to put up on the hub. Thanks.
It's lookin a bit better. I'm not sure how high the Hub's standards are, so I dunno if it's okay to upload. Though I can say that significant improvement will take more than a couple days, it takes months/years of study and practice. For now, don't be so concerned with whether or not your work meets the Hub's standards, just focus on improving and getting better than you are now.
Yuu-chan said:
It's lookin a bit better. I'm not sure how high the Hub's standards are, so I dunno if it's okay to upload. Though I can say that significant improvement will take more than a couple days, it takes months/years of study and practice. For now, don't be so concerned with whether or not your work meets the Hub's standards, just focus on improving and getting better than you are now.
I agree. I will know when my art is good enough and not let the sites rules decide that for me. I try to get a sketch or two out daily like the ones today with my OC who I am now calling Hanna and have actually drawn her half decently. Any and all advice is very apprciated. thanks
So, I'm doing a drawing for someone so they can have a ref for a character that is only the character in their normal state, for the only drawing of this character that exists is a fembot version of said character. However, I'm not sure about the pose I picked.

So, I'm going to leave the WIP of it here, and await any comments, mainly tips for fixes, before carrying on. http://i.imgur.com/l8bIBgV.png

EDIT: for the pose, this is what I'm going for: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tekken/images/4/45/Tekken-Blood-Vengeance-nina-williams-23520360-750-1000.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110716153843&path-prefix=en
someguy231 said:
So, I'm going to leave the WIP of it here, and await any comments, mainly tips for fixes, before carrying on. http://i.imgur.com/l8bIBgV.png

EDIT: for the pose, this is what I'm going for: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tekken/images/4/45/Tekken-Blood-Vengeance-nina-williams-23520360-750-1000.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110716153843&path-prefix=en
Assuming you're trying to replicate the pose as accurately as possible, take note of the angle at which the body is relative to the "camera". Also, one thing strikes out from the reference pic: the hip is perhaps slightly higher on the further side, or at least level with the closer one. Now, take this with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest trying to do the pose in question yourself to figure out how the weight is distributed, I've noticed it makes some poses a bit easier to comprehend.
TheKinkyFinn said:
Assuming you're trying to replicate the pose as accurately as possible, take note of the angle at which the body is relative to the "camera". Also, one thing strikes out from the reference pic: the hip is perhaps slightly higher on the further side, or at least level with the closer one. Now, take this with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest trying to do the pose in question yourself to figure out how the weight is distributed, I've noticed it makes some poses a bit easier to comprehend.
Yeah, as goofy as it sounds, doing the pose yourself (especially in front of a mirror) helps a lot.
TheKinkyFinn said:
DisasterDan said:
Yeah, as goofy as it sounds, doing the pose yourself (especially in front of a mirror) helps a lot.
I never thought of doing that. I'll try that out actually.
someguy231 said:
So, I'm doing a drawing for someone so they can have a ref for a character that is only the character in their normal state, for the only drawing of this character that exists is a fembot version of said character. However, I'm not sure about the pose I picked.

Weights on her back leg, so the hip is pivotted to compensate. Front leg is slightly bent as a result to account for being attached to the lower hip.
With her weight on the back leg, her centre of balance will be more over that raised rear hip, so her centre of mass (lower spine) will be skewed to lie vertically above the back foot (note the accentuated curve from hip to waist) on the righr side of the picture (her left)
Hello friends! Been feeling like I'm not improving as fast as I want to (I know I shouldn't rush it, but I feel like I need to practice in more rigorous ways) so... Uhhh, is it cool if I drop off some weekly sketches or something?
DisasterDan said:
Hello friends! Been feeling like I'm not improving as fast as I want to (I know I shouldn't rush it, but I feel like I need to practice in more rigorous ways) so... Uhhh, is it cool if I drop off some weekly sketches or something?
Always.
I'm working on an animation in flash, if anyone has any suggestions, pointers or comments I would really appreciate it!

http://hypnohub.net/post/show/45117/animated_gif-asphyxiation-coils-death-disney-hypno
Okay, so I tried drawing something, but embarrasingly can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

*Shota warning* Link
TheKinkyFinn said:
Okay, so I tried drawing something, but embarrasingly can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

*Shota warning* Link
That is really great!
Imasuky said:
That is really great!
I assure you, anything remotely associated with me and the word 'great' do not belong in the same sentence.
TheKinkyFinn said:
I assure you, anything remotely associated with me and the word 'great' do not belong in the same sentence.
Don't be down on yourself that's way better than what some others have posted stright to the main page.

I'm not good enough to give any advice but I can say that you are a good artist.
TheKinkyFinn said:

*Shota warning* Link
What on earth could you possibly need help with for a picture this good!? Also, if you could draw this well why haven't you been posting anything before. Why would you waste time with manips?
LillyTank said:
What on earth could you possibly need help with for a picture this good!? Also, if you could draw this well why haven't you been posting anything before. Why would you waste time with manips?
Just how I feel there are tons of post no where near as good as this one!
TheKinkyFinn said:

*Shota warning* Link
HOT DAMN
LillyTank said:
If I was confident enough in my skills, I would post things here. Plus, this was the first image I've actually tried lining properly, and my sketches are WAY uglier than this, so I didn't know where I stood in terms of skill.

Imasuky said:
Just how I feel there are tons of post no where near as good as this one!
Problem is, It wouldn't feel right posting just because it meets the Hub's minimum requirements.

*Edit* Ah, heck, I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen?
TheKinkyFinn said:
If I was confident enough in my skills, I would post things here. Plus, this was the first image I've actually tried lining properly, and my sketches are WAY uglier than this, so I didn't know where I stood in terms of skill.

Problem is, It wouldn't feel right posting just because it meets the Hub's minimum requirements.
I'd say it's well above the minimum.
Imasuky said:
I'd say it's well above the minimum.
Seconded.
TheKinkyFinn said:
Now, it might just be me, but I think really rough sketches and stuff are super appealing. I'd say post em, especially if you think they look god awful.
So it looks like my Shantae image was removed from Deviantart because it showed someone who was in a "nude, erotic, or sexually compromising situation" who was under the age of 18. I'm not sure what Shantae's age normally is, but I drew her to be over 18 in my picture. Could someone who knows about Deviantart give their input on this? I'm not doubting the deletion or anything, I'm just curious. Thanks!