Mind Conquest 0.04 is here
Version 0.04 is up now.

Play now: https://gamejolt.com/games/MindConquest/341978
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Changer

This game will not affect the release schedule of Adventure High. Mostly I've been plinking away at it in the background randomly as I have spare time.

Screenshots:
https://i.imgur.com/QTWUwks.png
http://hypnohub.net/post/show/58184

The Story: You are a failed evil overlord, who's base has been invaded by heroes who wrecked the place and left you for dead. This would be the end for you, if not for the sudden appearance of a psychic woman looking to start her own empire.

Recklessly, she opened a link between your minds to steal your knowledge but got more than she bargained for when you decided to jump into her mind and take over. Your will is more powerful than hers, but her psychic powers are linked to her soul rather than her mind.

If you want to get your own bodies back, and rule the world, you two will have to work together.

Gameplay:

This game is a resource management type of game. You will need to build an army while managing food for them, Terri's energy, and your old body's health all while keeping public attention of the growing threat you pose low so that heroes don't come and finish you off.

In addition to the resource management gameplay, there is also a brainwashing mini-game, where you use Terri's psychic powers to adjust the attitudes of nation leaders, heroes, or other important characters so that they will do your bidding.
DO A SUB GAME ALREAD-I mean, it locks great as always, Changer. Good luck!
Pinkanator said:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't know if I could do a sub game. Maybe I might come up with something by the time one of these two is finished, but I don't even know where to begin making a game both interesting as a game, and also places you in a submissive role.
Changer said:
I kind of hate that name, but I can't seem to think of anything better yet.

This game will not affect the release schedule of Adventure High. Mostly I've been plinking away at it in the background randomly which is why it took 6 months from when I originally posted a drawing from it til now to have a demo ready.

Screenshot:
http://hypnohub.net/post/show/40758

The Story: You are a failed evil overlord, who's base has been invaded by heroes who wrecked the place and left you for dead. This would be the end for you, if not for the sudden appearance of a psychic woman looking to start her own empire.

Recklessly, she opened a link between your minds to steal your knowledge but got more than she bargained for when you decided to jump into her mind and take over. Your will is more powerful than hers, but her psychic powers are linked to her soul rather than her mind.

If you want to get your own bodies back, and rule the world, you two will have to work together.

Gameplay:

This game is a resource management type of game. You will need to build an army while managing food for them, Terri's energy, and your old body's health all while keeping public attention of the growing threat you pose low so that heroes don't come and finish you off.

In addition to the resource management gameplay, there is also a brainwashing mini-game, where you use Terri's psychic powers to adjust the attitudes of nation leaders, heroes, or other important characters so that they will do your bidding.

The demo has been released to Patrons already, so the public release will be on the 12th. If you want to check it out before then, you can check my patreon page out here: https://www.patreon.com/Changer
Color me intrigued, I'll be following with great interest, and I would also be interested in a sub game if you're so inclined....
Changer said:
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't know if I could do a sub game. Maybe I might come up with something by the time one of these two is finished, but I don't even know where to begin making a game both interesting as a game, and also places you in a submissive role.
I'd say you're "trying" to fight off doms while trying to do something, with branching paths depending on certain groups of fuck ups.
Pinkanator said:
I'd say you're "trying" to fight off doms while trying to do something, with branching paths depending on certain groups of fuck ups.
Monster Girl Quest stands as a shining example, though more choices and branching paths are good too.
Pinkanator said:
Ah, so you mean a game that focuses on numerous sub endings, rather than one that plays as a sub the whole time?
Changer said:
Ah, so you mean a game that focuses on numerous sub endings, rather than one that plays as a sub the whole time?
Yeah. Maybe have it so you have to lose multiple times to an enemy type or in general for a "bad" end, or else it might frustrate. If you do, try and make it go on for a while. Most sub scenarios just kind of... End. No real details or satisfaction.
Pinkanator said:
Yeah. Maybe have it so you have to lose multiple times to an enemy type or in general for a "bad" end, or else it might frustrate. If you do, try and make it go on for a while. Most sub scenarios just kind of... End. No real details or satisfaction.
I try to be descriptive most of the time. It'd probably be a while though xD I don't think I should do three games at once :P Two is only do-able because I have a lot of down time during bug fixing to potentially do coding on the other.
Changer said:
I try to be descriptive most of the time. It'd probably be a while though xD I don't think I should do three games at once :P Two is only do-able because I have a lot of down time during bug fixing to potentially do coding on the other.
Course.
This looks awesome,i like how games about MC have spread around the community.
Sounds awesome. I'm not sure that the name is THAT bad, but if you're looking to change it, I'll try tossing out a few thoughts:
Twin Soul Conquest
World Conquest Simulator (Hey, it's worked for everything else!)
P.I.C.: Possess, Infiltrate, Conquer
Dark Lord (Re)Ascendant
Soulbinder
Corruption Quest

...This naming thing is actually really friggin hard. No wonder people have trouble with it. Anyway, best suggestions I've got without playing. Really looking forward to it!
Overwhored 2.0: The Revengening: The Prequel
Siegfried013 said:
Overwhored 2.0: The Revengening: The Prequel
: The movie: The game
Equipoise - Resurgance
The Overlords- A Joint Conquest!
Bond of Conquest
Unequal Share
Mind Mates - A Game of World Domination
Linked Souls - Return of the Overlord
ghost13 said:
The Overlords- A Joint Conquest!
Bond of Conquest
Unequal Share
Mind Mates - A Game of World Domination
Linked Souls - Return of the Overlord
I like that first one, at least somewhat better than what I have now. xD
Pinkanator said:
I guess my own experiences are different, because I haven't seen a decent 'Dom' game in years. Whenever Mind Control is involved, it's almost always your main character being destroyed, losing. The main is never on top.
Bloodly said:
I guess my own experiences are different, because I haven't seen a decent 'Dom' game in years. Whenever Mind Control is involved, it's almost always your main character being destroyed, losing. The main is never on top.
Yeah, that's why I was confused at first. There are a lot of games where you have submissive game-overs. The sub games that I am aware of not being so common are the ones where you actually are a sub during the gameplay.
There are a couple typos and spelling errors in when Terri explains how to run an empire, you may want to fix that.
Not much there yet (obviously), but it definitely has the potential to be something special. A couple of aesthetic suggestions, although I'm not sure how practical they'll be, not being a programmer myself:

1) have the game draw lines between the nodes on the same channel for ready visual cues as to what is connected (also make it feel more like your messing with someone's neural pathways)

2) Perhaps have said pathways change color and intensity depending upon the current modifiers and totals?

The second part seems like it would be pretty straightforward code, but it's dependent upon the first, which could most decidedly be not (again, from the view of a non code-savvy person)
@Ghost13

I fixed the ones I could find. There is no spell check, so I don't know if there still might be some that slipped by.

@Darsh

I wanted to originally have them connected by wire like lines, but I found that it was just too difficult to program. I am working on seeing if I can color code them effectively.
It took me a bit to figure out what the hell I was doing with the nodes, but I liked it. Also liked all the different ways I could change her along with the dialogue, will definitely be listening for more information later.
In order to be totally uninfluenced in my opinion I clicked through and tried it without even reading the OP. Didn't even know what kind of game it's supposed to be.

I couldn't get through the initial dialogue. I mean I could, from a technical standpoint, but I couldn't stand to read any more.

The problem is that ????? is written as a capable and driven character who it's implied has extremely clear short-term objectives. There's no hesitation going on at all. But then the character is also explaining everything to this person they don't really respect, in excruciating detail, when there's absolutely no motivation for it. It could be forgiven if it were an exposition dump for the reader, but there's very little lore per mouse click. So this gives us a very long dialogue with
  • No motivation
  • No character development except to reinforce that there's no reason for the dialog to be this long, and
  • Not enough exposition to justify its length
I already don't like reading drama even when it's excellent; I don't read literature, for example. So before long I was just totally checked-out. Basically it needs better rationing of that conversation (across multiple scenes, at "lulls" or "low points" between dramatic climaxes), or it needs to be more "show don't tell", or just cut down shorter, or a combination of the three.
Uhm... there.... IS motivation. You probably missed it due to skimming. Terri's motivation is to keep ??? from getting her killed. She knows that in spite of ???'s confidence and unwillingness to listen, they failed their last bid for world domination badly, and if they do exactly what they did before it will happen again.

The dialogue is as short as it can possibly be to get across some key information in the first scene:

1: ??? failed their first attempt at world conquest.
2: Terri wants to rule the world.
3: ??? has a stronger will than Terri and controls her body as a result.
4: Terri's psychic powers depend on her being allowed to remain lucid.

It is necessary to establish these facts up front, because it establishes the power balance between them, and the reason why they need to work together as opposed to one trying to assert total dominance over the other.

The only other instructive dumps, meanwhile are as concise as I can possibly make them while remaining in-character. If you toss someone into a resource management game without explaining the resources and their importance, the player will get overwhelmed immediately, so I couldn't exactly not have an interface tutorial.
Aside from suggesting that you sit down with some good anatomy and perspective references in a sealed room for about a week and just sketch, which I do feel is the number one most beneficial thing you could do for your game right now - I would suggest implementing some form of stacking text boxes. As it is, it feels like there's much less dialogue than there should be per click. You should also do either do a better job of explaining the minigame or improve the interface to make it more obvious what's going on, as it wasn't really clear to me what I could or couldn't click at any given time. I know nothing about Flash; but from a programmer's standpoint in general, it would be a good idea to spend as much time as you need to now to get that working with all the bells and whistles you want. Conceptually, I do really like the idea that went into that part, and I think it constitutes the strongest "selling point" of your game, so I would focus on making that as good as you can. You don't want it to fall by the wayside as something you've designated as just "passable" because it would take too much effort to refactor the code to permit your improvements later.

As for writing, I'll dig out some SAT-prep wisdom from half a decade ago for you; a semicolon goes in place of a comma when the comma would separate two individually complete sentences. (Oooh, so clever!) I noticed a place or two where there should have been one. It functions similarly to ", and..." (I would also say that exclamation points are a pretty weak way to add emotion and that there were too many of them, but your resources are pretty limited by the size of the text box, so I didn't find it too offensive.)

Lastly, do ease up on the defensive stuff. When someone brings up a complaint that you think isn't valid enough to address with a change, you're probably best served by thanking them for their time and thoughts and carrying on with whatever you're up to. If you spend less time bickering with people about a game in its early stages, those people will wind up happier with the final product, generally, because, for a solo project, time is infinitely better spent working on something than arguing about it.
If I could grind out nonstop sketching for a week I would. XD unfortunately trying to draw too much gives my wrist issues. Spent almost a month unable to even hold my pen earlier this year.

I am planning on improving the interface to make each node more recognisable and intuitive. Kind of wish I could make the tutorial run mid-play and highlight nodes specifically instead of a wall of text, but the programming on that has been eluding me so far.

I'm not being defensive; greasyi said they had checked out while reading, then one of their major complaints stemmed from missing information. It just seems probable that they missed something while skimming.
I was not skimming. I didn't mean the characters had no motivation. I meant the conversation has no motivation. ???? seems like a character that would only communicate at length to an antagonist with intention, and has better things to focus on since it's the middle of some kind of prison break. It doesn't make sense unless you're going for the Bond Villain stereotype, but in that case you need to ham it up more because I didn't read that out of it at all.

I didn't see anything like #1 or #2, but this could be because I didn't get all the way through the endless, endless dialogue. It's been a day so maybe I forgot, but I don't remember #3 being expressly stated. However, magicky-wajicky possession powers don't need justification, so unless ????'s willpower is an important plot point for later, no harm no foul. #4 was the only one I actually understood for certain.

Yes, I'm shitting all over your hard work like a fucking asshole, and you have every right to ignore me because you have your own justifications in your own artistic vision. But my experience was a genuine one as someone who was trying to give it an honest chance with no preconceptions, so you might want to revise it, and if you do, I've told you the issues I had with it. And if you're happy with it then I can go fuck myself! But if you're trying to make me not have felt that way by writing a defense of it now, after I've experienced it, I'm afraid it doesn't matter how infallible and eloquent your points are.

I wrote all the above before I read the remaining two posts so it turns out akaece made kind of the same point with less swearing, so... yeah.
I'm not sure how exactly you missed 1 and 2. That is literally the first thing you learn. The game opens to a ruined lab background, and Terri's first few lines of dialogue are specifically about ???'s failure and her intention to steal information from their mind for her own purposes. Then, there is a splash image of her being possessed.

#3 was stated shortly after Terri is Possessed, ??? suppresses her briefly to demonstrate that they can, then brings her back and makes her agree to use her psychic powers for them, which establishes #4.

I'm not calling your *experience* ungenuine I'm just trying to inform you of some information that you seem to have missed. I've given the dialogue a couple more read overs but I don't see a good way to condense it into fewer lines without making it feel rushed.
??? suppressing her could just be that because they did their magic wiggy-wonky possession move, now ??? can do that. It doesn't imply to me that in a straight 1-to-1 matchup that ???? necessarily has a stronger will than Terri, any more than driving a forklift implies that you're really strong. I remembered that part quite clearly so I'm almost positive that ??? having a stronger will is not established, unless more details about the rules of the possession in this canon are established later, after I stopped reading.

I strongly suspect that #1 and #2 are the same thing; you think you're establishing stuff but the implications of what's actually on-screen are not as obvious to an outsider as they are to you. So maybe that's something to go on.