Rotem_Dishon said:
I still want answers.

Plus, it's not like we have a moral highground to build our outrage on after the mandrake stunt...
Yeah but I feel like we need some more time to sort out our thoughts.
Imasuky said:
Yeah but I feel like we need some more time to sort out our thoughts.
Possibly, but any time we take is time Melody has to sort out hers.
Rotem_Dishon said:
Possibly, but any time we take is time Melody has to sort out hers.
Good point but I already cast my vote.
Imasuky said:
Good point but I already cast my vote.
So did I. Guess it's out of our hands now ^^
I'm slightly confused, I thought the Mindguard protected us against Psionic attacks so why did that psionic spiral thing work so well? That thing couldn't have been normal with how fast it dropped us.
Hazrond said:
I'm slightly confused, I thought the Mindguard protected us against Psionic attacks so why did that psionic spiral thing work so well? That thing couldn't have been normal with how fast it dropped us.
I don't think that was necessarily psionic in nature. So it could bypass the mindguard. Also we might be more vulnerable to hypnosis than normal.
It wasn't psionic is why. Psionics is directly interacting with people's thoughts. I guess you could do something similar with a sufficient amount of skill, by making somebody hallucinate a spiral, but that'd be pointlessly complex in most circumstances.

Spoilers because I guess it's not exactly hard to guess with that clarification, but Melody used real-deal magic there. Why she can do that and how much other magic she can do will remain to be discovered.
Alien said:
It wasn't psionic is why. Psionics is directly interacting with people's thoughts. I guess you could do something similar with a sufficient amount of skill, by making somebody hallucinate a spiral, but that'd be pointlessly complex in most circumstances.

Spoilers because I guess it's not exactly hard to guess with that clarification, but Melody used real-deal magic there. Why she can do that and how much other magic she can do will remain to be discovered.
I did half suspect magic could be involved. I get the feeling that the abiltes that we could have picked at the start but passed over were given to the other girls.

So that means one of the other two might have Psionics herself...Kat seems the more likely of the two but if that's the case she hasn't tipped her hand yet.

I don't know what the odds are that Aya has anything more.
Well that turned out even worse than expected... I think we need some time to dwell on things, and the safest place to do that would be back in the tower.
Wow good job guys, you cut sexy subby times short AND made Tessa cry. And you made Melody sad, too. She just wanted to have sexytimes with us but now everyone is sad. Do you feel good about yourselves?

We need to march right back to Melody and apologize profusely for acting irrationally and throwing a tantrum. She just wanted to have some fun with us, it's not like we didn't pull the same shit with her like two or three updates ago. Maybe we can both forgive each other and get along again. Think of the make-up sex tho.
God dammit. This is the second time I've voted for something and wanted to change it to something else. Two updates in a row, no less!

I kinda wish I'd voted for going back to Melody. She's clearly quite sorry, and didn't intend for this to happen. She never showed any malicious intend towards Tessa, and clearly has feelings for her, and I think the two of them need to talk it out before they start hating each other.

In other words, everybody else needs to vote for going back to Melody.
JksAccount said:
In other words, everybody else needs to vote for going back to Melody.
It just bareeeeeely won so yay for you!

I'm not certain but this might be another double-length-but-delayed update. Good bit of ground to cover before I can see a meaningful vote.
Alien said:
It just bareeeeeely won so yay for you!

I'm not certain but this might be another double-length-but-delayed update. Good bit of ground to cover before I can see a meaningful vote.
Ha haa! I'm glad.

Sounds like there's a chunk of conversation and exposition coming up, so I think we should call this a win.
I spent a few moments attempting to clean myself up with a handkerchief. I'd picked one up along with some money while I'd changed after we returned from gathering the mandrake root, though I hadn't really expected to need to use it. Especially not this badly. I wiped up the tears and gunk, though I couldn't do anything about how red my eyes probably were.

After sitting for a few moments, I stood up, sniffling somewhat. A couple of bypassers gave me odd looks, but nobody stopped to bother me. I supposed that's what it's like in a big city. I had a vague feeling that if somebody had seen a girl crying on the street at home, somebody would have stopped to help her.

Well... I was about as composed as I'd get without a shower and some sleep. What now?

I strongly considered just heading back to the tower, locking myself in my room and sulking for a while. It was really, really tempting. But... what would that accomplish? It wouldn't even make me feel any better, not really.

I needed to talk to Melody instead. Get... everything sorted out.

Slowly, with a certain degree of dread building up, I started trudging back to the clothing store I'd bolted out of. I remembered the path I'd taken by how long I'd run in a given direction, even though my sight had been blurred by tears and I hadn't been in a state of mind to take in my surroundings. It was a little difficult to figure out how far I ran in a given time compared to my current slow trudge, but I managed well enough.

Eventually, I made it back to the store. I took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

The pretty salesgirl was still manning the counter near the door. Melody had called her Alice before. She stared at me for a moment, then visibly recognized me, her eyes widening. "Oh! You came back?"

"Um... hi," I said. "Is... Is Melody..."

"She left a minute after you did," Alice said. "I think she went looking for you."

"...Oh," I said, feeling dumb. Of course Melody wasn't still here, it'd been at least half an hour since I ran out. But... she left to look for me...?

"Hey, are you okay?" Alice asked, leaning forward with one elbow on the counter.

"...Not really," I admitted after a moment. I shouldn't be involving some total stranger in this, I knew that, but I was too drained to care at the moment.

"Can I, uh, do anything to help?"

"...Not really."

"Oh." Alice was silent for a bit, and I shifted awkwardly. I wasn't sure what to do. The chances of finding Melody after she went out to look for me were pretty miniscule. She hadn't found me, and she actually knew this city. Eventually, the salesgirl spoke up again. "Was it something Melody said?"

Well, more 'did' than 'said', but that was close enough. "Yeah," I nodded.

"Oh. Well, uh. Don't hold whatever it was against her too much, okay?"

I looked at her suspiciously. "What? Why shouldn't I? Why do you even care?"

"...I guess because sometimes I feel like I'm the closest thing she has to a friend," Alice said. "At least it seems like she thinks that way."

"Um. Bullshit," I said.

"Yeah? You've been hanging around with her lately, right? How often have you seen her with anybody besides her maid?"

"Pretty much never," I admitted, "but we've been busy with something." Though... the competition didn't stop Kat from going out to see her friends once in a while. That was probably why she needed to catch up on her work, actually. Aya and I didn't have that... problem? given that we weren't from this city and didn't know anybody.

"Yeah, well, Melody's pretty much always busy with 'something'. You're the first person I've seen her bring in here, you know that? It's only ever been her and her maid before. And no matter how close they are, a lady and her maid aren't friends."

I wasn't sure on that count. Claire wasn't exactly chatty, but she seemed comfortable enough to tease Melody a little, like with her story about Melody going out to seedy waterfront taverns. But I supposed the clerk still had a point.

"Anyway, my point is, if she came on too strongly or something? Cut her some slack, alright?" Alice went on. "She's probably not used to dealing with people who are her equals, who she can't just boss around. Or else people she has to listen to, like her parents."

"Poor her," I found myself saying bitterly. There was still some part of me that wanted to lash out at Melody and hurt her somehow for what she'd done.

"I mean, yeah, rich girl problems," Alice seemingly agreed with me, faintly smiling. "But everyone's got their own shit, you know?"

"I guess," I said noncomittally. I could sort of see her point, but I wasn't sure I agreed.

"Anyway, yeah, maybe it'll be worth trying to see where she's coming from instead of just getting mad at her. Or not. Not really my business any- oh!"

Alice suddenly cut off as I heard the door swing open. I turned around.

Melody was standing in the doorway.

"Tessa," she said softly. "You... you came back."

"Um. Yeah. I did," I said awkwardly. Now that I'd found her, I had no idea what to actually say to her. How should I even start?

It seemed that she didn't know what to say either, because she stared at me for a long few moments. The scene was broken when the salesgirl cleared her throat. "Hey, you guys, uh, want some privacy?"

I... wasn't sure if I did. At the moment I wasn't sure if I wanted to be alone with Melody... but then again I really didn't want to talk about our issues in front of near-total strangers. "Um... yeah," I said eventually.

"You can use one of the back rooms again," Alice said. Then she straightened up and folded her arms. "And don't you dare make her cry again, Melody."

"I have no intention of such," the noble said, back stiff. Then she relaxed slightly as she looked back at me.

I couldn't manage to meet her gaze. Instead I turned away and started heading for the back of the store.

We walked through the store in silence, not eager to start talking. Eventually we reached one of the private rooms, and I had to turn around and face her again.

Melody looked at me silently for a bit. Finally, her mouth opened. "Tessa..." she said weakly.

"If you say anything that sounds like 'dream', I'm going to slap you again," I warned her.

She smiled slightly at that. "Okay. Fair. I really am sorry."

"I... maybe overreacted too," I said.

With that, the tension in the room eased somewhat. I still felt very awkward, but not quite verge-of-tears awkward. I took a minute to wonder what I should talk to her about.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12617933
Normal update schedule actually! Except experimental vote! You can vote for multiple options and the top 2-3 will get into the conversation.
Voted for:
Does she really like me?
To make sure that this possible romance has any possibility to happen.
What was that spiral thing?
For Information gathering, since we don't know any magic and having more information on her abilities could provide many benefits to us.
Mention the mandrake incident
This is kinda something of honor, altough it is arguable if we should do that.

Why did it make me... excited? and Why did I wake up? are useless, since Melody is unlikely to know that stuff herself

And Has she done that to anyone else?... On second thought, that might be also a good idea, altough we should avoid implying any suspicion of sluttery
Ok, so our top priorities are probably to ask if Melody really likes us, although at this point I feel like Tessa's the only person who doesn't know the answer to that question, and also to find out more about Melody's spiral sorcery.

Ehrenmannchimäre said:
Why did it make me... excited? and Why did I wake up? are useless, since Melody is unlikely to know that stuff herself

And Has she done that to anyone else?... On second thought, that might be also a good idea, altough we should avoid implying any suspicion of sluttery
I agree with these statements as well. I'm kinda on the fence with regards to telling her about the mandrake incident, though. If we tell her, we come across as sneaky and a bit hypocritical, although honest. But on the other hand, if we don't tell her, we can just hope she never finds out but if she ever does, I expect she'll be more than a little unhappy about it.
The top three should be our top three qustions!
MENTION THE MANDRAKE INCIDENT

Melody needs to know that we've controlled her too. It's a win/win, we tell her the truth and get everything out in the open AND we assert some dominance by letting her know she's been controlled by us as well.

JksAccount said:
Ok, so our top priorities are probably to ask if Melody really likes us, although at this point I feel like Tessa's the only person who doesn't know the answer to that question, and also to find out more about Melody's spiral sorcery.

I agree with these statements as well. I'm kinda on the fence with regards to telling her about the mandrake incident, though. If we tell her, we come across as sneaky and a bit hypocritical, although honest. But on the other hand, if we don't tell her, we can just hope she never finds out but if she ever does, I expect she'll be more than a little unhappy about it.
We WERE bring hypocritical though, there's no getting around that. While we may not have explicitly intended to hypnotize her like she did us, we knew what was going to happen to her and when she was under we forced her to kiss Aya for our own pleasure. Which is why I think we still owe her a big apology for hitting her so hard and throwing a tantrum. She didn't do anything worse to us that we have already done to her, and now that we know what she's done to us it's only fair that she knows what we've done to her. Also, as you said, it's better she find out now from us than find out later. I don't think we want her mad at us, considering it appears she can put us under from now on at any time unless our hand miraculously intervenes again.
nitonito said:

... She didn't do anything worse to us that we have already done to her...
Except we did not implant a trigger to put her back under again, while she did (implying that she did not intend for this to be an isolated incident)

It's not much of a difference, but it is one.
Like me? Spiral thing? And the mandrake win out, mandrake by a whole one vote. That should work fairly naturally as a conversation I think. But you're probably getting a delayed normal-length update because I feel like shit and don't wanna writeeeeee. Projected update... date... is next tuesday.
Alien said:
Like me? Spiral thing? And the mandrake win out, mandrake by a whole one vote. That should work fairly naturally as a conversation I think. But you're probably getting a delayed normal-length update because I feel like shit and don't wanna writeeeeee. Projected update... date... is next tuesday.
Sounds like a good outcome, though I'm still uncertain about telling her about the whole mandrake thing...

In any case, hope things improve on your end and I'm sure we can cope with waiting for an update.
Apparently, today's the day we're bumping CYOA threads. Also, its Tuesday.
JksAccount said:
Apparently, today's the day we're bumping CYOA threads. Also, its Tuesday.
Pffhhh... speak for yourself. I'ts obviously Wednesday. ^-^
Rotem_Dishon said:
Pffhhh... speak for yourself. I'ts obviously Wednesday. ^-^
Give it two minutes.
JksAccount said:
Give it two minutes.
Hump Day
Still a few hours for me. So I want an update before midnight.