Psi said:
There isn't a SINGLE way of doing it right. There are countless methods to sketch, ink and colour and you just need to find the one you prefer most and find yourself most comfortable with. You shouldn't feel bad because some professionals do things differently, but see what can you learn from it and add to your style.

Always remember when drawing arms, the character should be able to fap while standing! u0e/
Very true. It was pretty much a sensory overload when I first started on DA and was constantly comparing myself to these amazing artists around the world (truly, let that sink in for a second - thanks to glorious internet, you can't help but weigh yourself against the most disciplined, most talented, best artists in the world.). I went through a lengthy phase of feeling like I had to try and replicate every great piece of art I saw, and it was pretty darn overwhelming and depressing.

If you see an art technique that feels unnatural or makes you say 'god I can't do this,' then it just probably isn't a good fit for you. Maybe it's something you can pick up and apply further down the road when you're more confident in your own style.

In reference to you specifically Yuu-Chan, the most important thing is having a unique, identifiable style. And you have that :-) I can look at your work and instantly say 'ah, that's a Yuu-Chan piece.' Confidence in your own style is the foundation upon which everything else is built - you cannot be a good artist without it. So as soon as you are able to truly feel comfortable in the fact that you do have an original style, everything else will start falling into place - you will be much more able to improve the little things without sacrificing what makes you special.

Having said that, it is still necessary to absorb the basic fundamentals that all artists rely on, consciously or not. I tended to neglect fundamentals in school - coasting on my talent like the arrogant prick I was - and I suffered unknowingly for a long time without them. But even though I still haven't internalized formal muscle and skeletal structures, I have managed to piece together some very effective fundamentals that have improved my art considerably the past couple years.

When drawing a figure, these are the rules of proportion / relativity that I stick to. I always run these rules through my head and check them against each other when sketching a figure, and they've helped me immensely.

- eyes should be in the center of the overall head (that whole drawing a cross through the center of an oval is surprisingly effective)
- the tops of the ears should be in-line with the eyes
- navel should be be roughly on the halfway point of the torso, measuring from collarbone to bottom of crotch.
- navel should be roughly where the waist ends and slope of the hips begin
- if you're standing at attention, your elbows should be roughly in-line with your navel
- your forearms are roughly the same length as your feet
- the palm is pentagon-shaped, not square. Internalizing this simple fact makes it so much easier to draw hands and know where fingers, thumbs, and palm creases sit in relation to each other.
- (I wish I had a definitive set of rules for feet, because I feel I've gotten pretty good with those lately; but that process is still a little too intuitive for me)

I hope some of that helps :-)