Get Out (film)
It's coming out tomorrow. As of this writing, it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Of course it was getting a thread.

Here's the trailer in case you hadn't heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

I will add my thoughts once I've seen it.

EDIT: Given how so many people are talking about this, I'm regretting making such a detailed title.
I feel like this should be on the films you just saw thread.
RedCollarBlackCollar said:
I feel like this should be on the films you just saw thread.
I'm not a forum regular, so I won't contest that. I just felt that, given the film's subject matter and all the hype it's gotten, it deserved its own thread.
Didnt even know a film like this was coming, holy shit :O
Who's in charge of this movie again?
Blaster1228 said:
Who's in charge of this movie again?
Jordan Peele is writing and directing. He's actually pretty good at horror; check out some of the Key and Peele sketches.
I actually got really uncomfortable when hypnosis was brought up in the trailer. Like straight up queasiness.
EoD said:
I actually got really uncomfortable when hypnosis was brought up in the trailer. Like straight up queasiness.
Agreed.
I don't think I trust a comedy artist to direct a horror movie
I actually posted some art in promotion for the film the other day. It looks like a blast in my eyes and hopefully I can find a way to see it.
GrandDad said:
Sam Raimi that's all.
EoD said:
Blitz_Habanera said:
Agreed.
Amen, siblings.
EoD said:
Blitz_Habanera said:
Agreed.
ghost13 said:
Amen, siblings.
make that 4. i feel like if i watch the trailer it'll just make me feel like a bad person.
POSSESSION IS SHIT-TIER MC
EoD said:
Blitz_Habanera said:
Agreed.
ghost13 said:
Amen, siblings.
skullman2033 said:
make that 4. i feel like if i watch that it'll just make me feel like a bad person.
Well, to be fair, its not everyday the average person sees media with hypnosis involved in it. Unlike us :P
RelaxDude said:
Well, to be fair, its not everyday the average person sees media with hypnosis involved in it. Unlike us :P
it's not that, it's mixing hypnosis, namely stepford-ization with being black in america just feels like a VERY uncomfortable situation for some people
Looks like more anti-white propaganda coming from the regressive left media to me.
I've heard it's got amazing reviews, but I dunno, the entire concept just seems... deeply uncomfortable to me. I don't know if it's the sort of movie I'd be able to sit through no matter how well-directed it is.
I'm hearing varying reports about the movie and what exactly the "message" is supposed to be. Any kind of talk about racism that goes any more complex than just "racism is bad" tends to not work out very well in the media and on the internet. I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say for sure, but what makes me feel dread is that however the movie actually turns out the critical and cultural response to it is bound to be a motherfucking trainwreck.
I want to see it because I like a movie that makes me feel uncomfortable. "Message" movies seem so halfassed sometimes, it's refreshing to find one that really makes you think something's fucked up outside the story's vacuum.

Like Funny Games. I didn't fully agree with the message there, but the opinion put forth was so strikingly presented I had to at least respect it.
WhatIsLove said:
Looks like more anti-white propaganda coming from the regressive left media to me.
Considering it's written by a comedian, and from watching the trailer, it's very clearly satire as well as horror. Congrats, you're one of the people the movie mocks.
EoD said:
Considering it's written by a comedian, and from watching the trailer, it's very clearly satire as well as horror. Congrats, you're one of the people the movie mocks.
Seriously? It's satire? I didn't get that impression from the trailers, which looked pretty dead serious. Interesting...
Because being black in America is a daily struggle not to get hypnotized by those evil whiteys? I don't think the movie has an agenda, but what the fuck is that subtitle?
Well, our best bet is to just look at reviews and watch the movie to judge for ourselves ^.^
Rookaa_Nocturn said:
Well, our best bet is to just look at reviews and watch the movie to judge for ourselves ^.^
Pretty much what I've said in the past.
Flyman said:
Because being black in America is a daily struggle not to get hypnotized by those evil whiteys? I don't think the movie has an agenda, but what the fuck is that subtitle?
Yeah, vinegrape dropped the ball on the title for sure.
EoD said:
Yeah, vinegrape dropped the ball on the title for sure.
Shit happens, only sometimes does it role down hill xD
GrandDad said:
I dunno what you're talking about, I thought the trailers were hilarious.
The title change is much appreciated, sorry if I was too harsh vinegrape.
Two things.

First, I'd like to apologize for the original thread title. It was stupid, pretentious, and pulled attention away from discussing the film. My bad. I apologize.

Second, I just got back from seeing this.

Short version: It's flawless. Go see it.

Long version: Let me start by saying this is a beautiful, fantastic movie. I haven't had a theater experience this satisfying since the Dark Knight. My audience laughed. They tensed. They clapped and cheered. I know "emotional rollercoaster" is a cliche, but it applies perfectly here.

Make no mistake: this is first and foremost a horror/thriller. But this is also a very funny movie. And the gags never get intrusive or overstay their welcome, because they're used to resolve or ratchet up tension. (God, the film's use of tone and mood is fucking masterful and I wish I could talk all day about it.) You get jokes that lighten the mood after something awful happens. And then you get the jokes that are funny on the surface, but are also kinda creepy because they hint at what's going on. Like the sorta-kinda racist, awkward small talk when Chris is meeting the family, which is nicely cringey but also highlights how isolated Chris is and the family's true mindset.

About the race stuff: full disclosure, I'm a white man from a whitebread background. So I might not be the best judge of this subject, but it's something that needs talking about.

There's a lot of ground covered. There's slavery, profiling, racist microaggressions, myths about black genetics and potency. There's a brief allusion to ploice shootings, and the film's first scene is clearly inspired by Trayvon Martin. But otherwise, the film is tightly focused on a specific brand of racism.

This is about hypocritical liberal "allies". The ones who do their damndest to seem progressive and don't think of themselves as racist, but can't help but patronize and be counted on to actually help minorities. And are harboring their own demons, just out of sight. Good example: during the big reveal where one of the villains is explaining what's happening, he manages to work in a speech that essentially amounts to "I'm not racist, but...". It's darkly hilarious, and also terrifying given the context.

Seriously, go see this. I'm rambling and I don't think I can do this film proper justice. But below, I'm going to put a short explanation of the film's MC elements. Read it if you want, but there's nothing remotely sexy about it, given the context, methods and the characters and racial attitudes involved.

spoiler
saw the trailer its very creepy....Cant wait to see it