vinegrape said:
spoiler
I think I get. spoiler
Sorry for the late response.

Fic said:
spoiler

I think I get. spoiler
No, nothing like that. It's more like a standard spoiler
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I finally got around to watching this and had a blast with it. I wish the ending wasn't so abrupt (the film was made on a low budget and I assume that's why it felt that way) but the humor, tension and tight structure were all pretty strong, with excellent performances and a thoughtful (if blunt as hell) message.
I'm mildly disgusted with this propaganda disguised as a movie.
Gojulas said:
I'm mildly disgusted with this propaganda disguised as a movie.
Sounds like someone didn't watch the film.
I've heard some great stuff about the movie from "Screenjunkies" on YouTube (link spoiler )

Just from the trailer and that review though I don't think I'll watch it. I'm no hero when it comes to horror in any case but just the trailer - dude.
When he's like "no wait" and she commands him to "sink" I could feel my stomach drop and if I wasn't so scared already, the visuals and the "mwaaarp" going down sound feel like they could've pulled me under. It's really really scarily well done, so definite props to the people in charge of that.

I know I won't be able to see this movie without having nightmares for weeks, racism or not. Take race out of the equasion and it's really just as scary as a serial killer targetting blonde women or people wearing khaki's or some shit like that.

Freaking shivers all over.
Friye said:
I've heard some great stuff about the movie from "Screenjunkies" on YouTube (link spoiler )

Just from the trailer and that review though I don't think I'll watch it. I'm no hero when it comes to horror in any case but just the trailer - dude.
When he's like "no wait" and she commands him to "sink" I could feel my stomach drop and if I wasn't so scared already, the visuals and the "mwaaarp" going down sound feel like they could've pulled me under. It's really really scarily well done, so definite props to the people in charge of that.

I know I won't be able to see this movie without having nightmares for weeks, racism or not. Take race out of the equasion and it's really just as scary as a serial killer targetting blonde women or people wearing khaki's or some shit like that.

Freaking shivers all over.
Heheheh, if you thought the "sink" thing was creepy as hell, you wouldn't be to handle what the villain's motivations are to what they're doing to the black people. It's ain't pretty!
So I saw the movie last Sunday, and I thought I'd leave my thoughts about it after mulling over my initial impressions. Bear in mind, I haven't read most (or all) of this thread, so I don't know if I'm just piling on what's already been said.

For me, the film has its pros and cons. It's by no means a perfect film, and although I would probably give it a relatively high score, it'd be nowhere near 10/10. Though, I also understand how Rotten Tomatoes works, and the fact so many people have found something to be positive about here doesn't surprise me all that much. It is, after all, a good-to-great movie.

So, without further ado, the pros :

-The scenario. This is a very, very well-written film, and I cannot overstate how impressed I was with its plot and concept. Even the best movies (that I've seen) of the past few years, such as The Dark Knight, Django Unchained, The Wind Rises, and all the rest, generally have some rather basic tropes and, yes, sometimes clichéd moments. This film, while not so original in its villains' methods and in its atmosphere, does manage to effectively give a new twist on some of the ol' spoiler tropes. In particular, I felt that the baddies' motivations, and their targets, have never been quite used in this way in recent memory, at least.

-Expanding on the scenario, another positive point is the intelligence of the film. There are many, many subverted expectations and situations (I'm thinking, for example, about the very first scene of the movie, which is an inversion on the classic white person lost in an unfriendly, poor and aggressive black neighborhood). The main twist of the film spoiler is also something which I hadn't really expected, despite generally being pretty lucid with a lot of the common plot twists. spoiler. Also in line with this, a lot of the movie's twists and turns are often foreshadowed, and quite a bit of the "story behind the story", if that's understandable, can be figured out afterwards. spoiler So yes, this is a clever film, and I'm glad I saw it, if only for that aspect.

-The third aspect which, in my opinion, was successful, is the soundtrack. In horror movies, music and sound are particularly important, and here they were used to great effect. Sure, there are the classic "scare chords" (the gardener's sprint), but there are also quite a few moments that have a very subdued, though effective, atmosphere. The title theme in particular was also rather unique, chilling, but also beautiful. I'll just leave this here.

-Another big thing is the acting, which was at the very least capable. The main actor, Daniel Kaluuya, gave off an interesting mix of sympathy and panic, and performed his role extremely well. Most of the other actors (and there aren't that many of them) managed to play their part effectively, though I felt that this varied somewhat. See the cons.

-Fifth really great aspect : the pacing. The film started off quite slowly (after the initial scene, I mean), but I never lost interest in anything that happened, and the ending in particular ratcheted up the tension in a way that was pretty much incomparable to any other recently-viewed movies. I loved that ending.

-And, finally, the underlying themes of the movie were what made it a very interesting watch for me. It has been compared to Django Unchained, especially where I live, but I thought it was even better.
spoiler Perhaps this can partly be explained by the fact the director is black (unlike Quentin Tarantino).

As for the cons, there are really two of them :

-First off, the cinematography itself (the way the movie was filmed) was something of a disappointment for me. Not that it was awful, especially when compared to some other recent horror/thriller films, but I felt it was a bit flat, slightly simplistic. Nothing too bad, but nothing really revolutionary. The shots were, of course, acceptable, but still, maybe it could have been a bit more daring in its approach. This was mostly compared to the rest of the movie's parts, which, as stated above, I found excellent.

-And second, some of the moments and, mostly, characters seemed, to put it simply, quite cheesy to me. I'm not really talking about most of the main characters (that is, Chris and the Armitages), but more about the two servantsspoiler. In particular, Georgina's acting felt like too much spoiler. I understand that something was supposed to feel off about her, but, still, I found that particular moment laughably ridiculous, for some reason. Some of the more hammy moments, like that one, were rather... narmy.

In conclusion, though the movie had its flaws, most of its individual aspects were very well-made, and it balanced satire and horror with great effectiveness, I thought. Perhaps not a masterpiece, but still, at least a very good film. If I had to grade this movie, I would probably give it somewhere between 7.5 and 8 out of 10.
In any case, I'm really glad I saw it, and I do think it's very worth seeing for the atmosphere and themes alone. I strongly recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it yet, and I await more from Jordan Peele.
TheMadPrince said:
snip
Excellent write up, ma boy! I'd rate it the same way around an 8 or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up another notch after another viewing. And as a side note, you forgot to mention one of the best aspects of this film: It's funny as hell, both with straightforward comedy and its satirical bits. I honestly saw the film as a horror film with a great funny bone to it.

Jordan Peele's next project is expected to come along pretty soon and reports say that it's going to have a much more meatier budget than this film did (Get Out had a budget of 4.5 million while the next film he's doing is going to be around 20 million or so). So I think he'll be address the problem you had. I actually thought the film looked quite nice, thanks to some of its lovely framing and bits of surrealism that would show up every now and again, like the Sunken Place bits.

Peele has also said Get Out is the start of four horror films he wants to do that cover social issues. He's already got racism out of the way, so maybe he could do class divide or gender. Dude's highly intelligent and could be well worth trusting on these topics with ease. He's so gungho to do these that he even turned down a chance to do that blasted Akira movie Warnber Brothers wants to do, which I said is good that he stuck to his guns.
Contorted said:
A review of my review
Good point about the humor, Contorted ! You're right of course, there are many really hilarious moments, although for me, it counts as part of the film's scenario's intelligence.
I don't think it looked bad per se (it's better filmed than a lot of the big blockbusters), however I do feel like it could have been more adventurous, especially when compared to the scope of the concept. In other words, the cinematography (again, imo) sort of fell flat next to the movie's better elements. But the Sunken Place scenes had a nice original touch to them, I'll admit (I especially liked the "screen" where you could see the Armitages in the outside world).
And I didn't know about his other projects. Good to know he's steering clear of studio exec's orders. I really like that there are still filmmakers with some artistic vision today, and not just seeking to turn a profit !
Have y'all seen E;R's stupid review of this film?
TheSpoon said:
Have y'all seen E;R's stupid review of this film?
you talking smack about e;r-senpai, dog
hypnofish said:
you talking smack about e;r-senpai, dog
I want to like e;r, but he levels way too many illegitimate or outright wrong criticisms of whatever he's having a go at, often ignoring large pieces of an argument to cleanly make his arguments or statements seem more valid.

Contorted said:
Sounds like someone didn't watch the film.
haha ayy

really, if I see another "Get Out is an 'all white people are evil' movie" comment, i'm going to blow my brains out. why can't you save those accusations for the legions of new shitty racist anti-white propaganda pieces that ACTUALLY fit that bill and are the things you should REALLY be going after, and not soil this completely non-preachy, nuanced fillm by trying to lump it in with those?
TheSpoon said:
haha ayy

really, if I see another "Get Out is an 'all white people are evil' movie" comment, i'm going to blow my brains out. why can't you save those accusations for the legions of new shitty racist anti-white propaganda pieces that ACTUALLY fit that bill and are the things you should REALLY be going after, and not soil this completely non-preachy, nuanced fillm by trying to lump it in with those?
Nice to see someone actually speaking sense. Even my mom, who was afraid of the film being what you just mentioned prior to watching it, liked it a lot and thinks the "ANTI-WHITE PROPAGANDA" slant thrown against is complete bullshit.
I couldn't find this thread when I watched the movie. I wish I didn't find it just now.

"Anti-white propaganda" lol. You want propaganda, wait for the next Wonder Woman movie where she fights the Soviets!