FIRST YOU FIRE YOUR BIGGEST STAR

THEN YOU PULL THIS SHIT
Pinkanator said:
http://prnt.sc/ektoxu
SON OF A BITCH

YOU DON MESSED UP YOUTUBE

THEN YOU PULL THIS SHIT
To elaborate; The Annotations on youtube.com have been used for a wide variety of purposes. From informing people that since the video was uploaded the creator had disabled comments to pointing stuff out that might have been missed.

Youtube, on the other hand, think they were just used to keep people on your channel, and so are scrapping it but hey at least you can have fucking end cards, not like youtubers have been doing this for years prior.
You've never had to deal with google's design policy have you? It's: "We're making something new. Your tears may be deposited in the barrel on the left, where we keep our those sharp point fragments of things, otherwise known as documentation."
Is this really a surprise?
I'll grant you, this doesn't seem like the smartest decision, but its probably not all that terrible...
JksAccount said:
I'll grant you, this doesn't seem like the smartest decision, but its probably not all that terrible...
The day they scrap the video description feature is the day when panic is justified.
Anon_3.141 said:
The day they scrap the video description feature is the day when panic is justified.
That's next month.
I'm not in the least bit surprised, nearly every feature-changing update to YouTube has been negative.

Still disappointed at the YouTube staff's utter incompetence. Like, from every single perspective it would have made more sense to try and make annotations work on mobile devices than to yank the feature out - it's an existing feature that loads of people use, half the work is already there...

Instead, we get "This feature doesn't work on mobile and we're lazy fucks. Let's scrap the feature."
Imasuky said:
That's next month.
Really? I'd heard it wasn't going to happen until September...
Pinkanator said:
SON OF A BITCH

THEN YOU PULL THIS SHIT
*hugs*
don't worry, they'll realize that they done fucked up when pretty much all of youtube creators cry out against it.
crazyman said:
*hugs*
don't worry, they'll realize that they done fucked up when pretty much all of youtube creators cry out against it.
Like they did with Youtube Heroes?

spoiler
Should probably keep this in general news thread.
"They don't even work on mobile devices" is surprisingly informal for such a big company.
RedCollarBlackCollar said:
Should probably keep this in general news thread.
That was my first thought
I mean, youtube got rid of, or hid very, very well the ability to send users messages, and I can only find my inbox at all through a nest of links three deep. They have barbaric DMCA policies that allow for consequence free abuse and bullying, demonitize videos that discuss controversial topics, force a style of buffering that prevents people with slow internet from pre-buffering a video to watch it smoothly, and allow a sensational dying newspaper's mad ravings dictate who they work with or not, but yeah no, getting rid of annotations is just the worst.

Seriously though, Youtube seems like it's trying everything in it's power to be the worst possible service imaginable, and I can't help but think that it's their utter lack of real competition that is the source of their attitude. Sometimes it feels like most of the things they do are done for two reasons; one, *just* to test and see if people will still put up with it and if any competing sites do pop up as a threat to their monopoly, or two, to avoid doing any real work themselves.
YouTube isn't trying to be a service for your sake; it's being a business. They're focusing more on babies playing with their parents' iPads than anyone else because those babies generate appealing metrics for advertisers. Parents don't like their babies seeing curse words from strangers in their inbox. Babies don't know how to turn off annotations and cry when their screens are blocked by the big mean wordboxes.
I GUESS I could understand why they're doing this, as I watch YT on mobile, and then I rewatch them on computer and I see annotations, I get why they're doing it.
Pinkanator said:
SON OF A BITCH

THEN YOU PULL THIS SHIT
Annotations are annoying and clutter up videos. And, if you're referrimg to PewDiePie, he was a foul mouthed, misogynistic, homophobic Nazi. Good riddance.
NamesAreForTheWeak said:
I'm not in the least bit surprised, nearly every feature-changing update to YouTube has been negative.
I like the Html5-Videos :<

but yeah....'can't get it to work on mobile so just delete it completely' is pretty bad
HypnoHubbaHubba said:
Annotations are annoying and clutter up videos.
And also make correcting minor errors that much easier for those interested in having an informed audience.

HypnoHubbaHubba said:
And, if you're referrimg to PewDiePie, he was a foul mouthed, misogynistic, homophobic Nazi. Good riddance.
Now, this just isn't fair; either I call out the blatant and ridiculous misinformation, or I stand up for a filthy Swede.

Decisions, decisions...
Anno1404 said:
I like the Html5-Videos :<

but yeah....'can't get it to work on mobile so just delete it completely' is pretty bad
Only problem I have HTML is that it causes a strange audio spike for me, that means I have to reset the audio volume every time it loads.
HypnoHubbaHubba said:
Annotations are annoying and clutter up videos. And, if you're referrimg to PewDiePie, he was a foul mouthed, misogynistic, homophobic Nazi. Good riddance.
That is entirely false. The hit piece made on him, and that is exactly what it was, a hit piece, removed a lot of context in order to make their point. To include taking a scene out of context that was a part of a video where PewDiePie was complaining about his stuff being taken out of context to make him look bad. In order to get that scene, they would have had to have seen him talking about being taken out of context, and thus could not have been doing it accidentally.

They went out of their way to slander his reputation in order to get views because he has a large audience. That is the beginning and end of it all. Could he have avoided this by never making jokes that could be taken out of context to make him look bad? Probably. But is he a Nazi because he made a few jokes that hinge entirely on us understanding that Nazis are bad? Absolutely not.
@changer
Why you taking the bait?
@changer
Why you taking the bait?
Because someone has to. Changer might as well be the one to bite it, since, as far as I can tell, they react very level-headedly to "flame war bait".
pewdiepie made an antisemitic "joke" during a time when attacks and vandalism against Jewish establishments is on the rise. And it's just the most recent one he made. You can say "he didn't mean it that way" all you want, but you may as well be saying "it's just a prank, bro" for all the difference it makes. If your "jokes" earn you praise from Neo Nazi websites, then maybe you're approaching humor wrong.

Also, The New York Times is not failing no matter how many times Trump says it is.
Anon_3.141 said:
Because someone has to. Changer might as well be the one to bite it, since, as far as I can tell, they react very level-headedly to "flame war bait".
But why defend him against claims that are very much unrelated to the actual issue at hand: That being the antisemetic jokes/Hitler stuff he's been given shit for?

Mindwipe said:
pewdiepie made an antisemitic "joke" during a time when attacks and vandalism against Jewish establishments is on the rise. And it's just the most recent one he made. You can say "he didn't mean it that way" all you want, but you may as well be saying "it's just a prank, bro" for all the difference it makes. If your "jokes" earn you praise from Neo Nazi websites, then maybe you're approaching humor wrong.

Also, The New York Times is not failing no matter how many times Trump says it is.
You say that as if it was one joke that completely ruined his career.
There was a lot of other dumb crap in the spooky steel timpani WSJ video that tried to depict him as supporting the Nazi's. One of those clips was from a video of him pointing out how he's taken outta context by the media plenty of times. And what do they end up doing by showing that clip...?

"If your "jokes" earn you praise from Neo Nazi websites, then maybe you're approaching humor wrong."
I don't get that. So if any modern day comedian is getting praised by a bigoted/evil group of people, then therefore their views line up...? .____.
And hey, Stormfront had those Wall Street Journo writers of those articles being "praised" on their site. Even said how they were the WSJ's #1 fan site. Could that mean the Wall Street Journal's actually... Supported by Neo-Nazis?! :0
Changer said:
That is entirely false. The hit piece made on him, and that is exactly what it was, a hit piece, removed a lot of context in order to make their point. To include taking a scene out of context that was a part of a video where PewDiePie was complaining about his stuff being taken out of context to make him look bad. In order to get that scene, they would have had to have seen him talking about being taken out of context, and thus could not have been doing it accidentally.

They went out of their way to slander his reputation in order to get views because he has a large audience. That is the beginning and end of it all. Could he have avoided this by never making jokes that could be taken out of context to make him look bad? Probably. But is he a Nazi because he made a few jokes that hinge entirely on us understanding that Nazis are bad? Absolutely not.
The thing that gets me about Pewds isn't that he paid some dudes to hold a sign saying... whatever. If I felt like pointlessly blowing my money on such a thing I'd probably do something dumb like that too.

But he did, and then he thought it would be a good idea to include it in his video, on his channel with more subscribers than 5 times the entire population of his home country...
lol @ people calling pewds a nazi
"If your "jokes" earn you praise from Neo Nazi websites, then maybe you're approaching humor wrong."
I don't get that. So if any modern day comedian is getting praised by a bigoted/evil group of people, then therefore their views line up...? .____.
I never said that. I don't believe Pewdiepie is actually a Nazi. I think he's just an idiot who doesn't know how to be funny or when he shouldn't make a joke out of something. Also, I heard that the people he hired to hold up those signs apparently lost their fucking jobs? Pewds lost a couple partnerships and still has a massive following and a YouTube channel to provide him with constant revenue. He got off fucking easy.
Freedom of Speech truly is dead.
PenKen said:
Freedom of Speech truly is dead.
Last I checked, nobody got arrested by the government for this. The 1st Amendment does not shield you from public ridicule or guarantee you the right to say and do whatever you want without consequence.