This topic is locked.

Mindwipe said:
Last I checked, nobody got arrested by the government for this. The 1st Amendment does not shield you from public ridicule or guarantee you the right to say and do whatever you want without consequence.
doesn't stop the internet mob from labeling someone as a Nazi tho. You know, that group of people that actually SLAUGHTERED jews.

What I find funny about this entire situation. Is a massive majority of the jewish community weren't offended by pewds. It was non jews being offended for them, which in itself is even more offensive.
Mindwipe said:
Last I checked, nobody got arrested by the government for this. The 1st Amendment does not shield you from public ridicule or guarantee you the right to say and do whatever you want without consequence.
This. 100% agreed. If somebody does reckless things, they have to expect consequences.
PenKen said:
Freedom of Speech truly is dead.
PewDiePie is a Swedish citizen living in Britain so the 1st ammendent to the US constitution has nothing to do with him anyway?

And given that Sweden was neutral during WWII at best and at times openly collaborating with that 3rd Reich at worst, his "misunderstood prank" looks a lot less innocent...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_during_World_War_II
PenKen said:
doesn't stop the internet mob from labeling someone as a Nazi tho. You know, that group of people that actually SLAUGHTERED jews.

What I find funny about this entire situation. Is a massive majority of the jewish community weren't offended by pewds. It was non jews being offended for them, which in itself is even more offensive.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that pewds doesn't have a very large Jewish fanbase, and the "massive majority of the Jewish community" probably weren't even aware of the event until reporting was done. But hey, go to your local synagogue and stand outside holding a sign that says "Death to all Jews." Ask the people attending if they think its funny. If they say no, tell them you're joking and see if their answer changes.

I also don't know when it became a bad thing for people at large, Jewish or not, to condemn antisemitic comments. Social experiment, prank, whatever, it's not okay to make "jokes" about killing an entire race of people. And ESPECIALLY so when said people already underwent an attempted genocide rather recently (in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that long ago), and are currently seeing a resurgence of violence and aggression aimed towards them.
Mindwipe said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that pewds doesn't have a very large Jewish fanbase, and the "massive majority of the Jewish community" probably weren't even aware of the event until reporting was done. But hey, go to your local synagogue and stand outside holding a sign that says "Death to all Jews." Ask the people attending if they think its funny. If they say no, tell them you're joking and see if their answer changes.

I also don't know when it became a bad thing for people at large, Jewish or not, to condemn antisemitic comments. Social experiment, prank, whatever, it's not okay to make "jokes" about killing an entire race of people. And ESPECIALLY so when said people already underwent an attempted genocide rather recently (in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that long ago), and are currently seeing a resurgence of violence and aggression aimed towards them.
Did you forget that one of his best friends Ethan Klien, H3H3 is Jewish? And takes pride in his heritage? And is married to a jewish Woman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNSiFrS3n4&t=6s

here's his video on it.
Mindwipe said:

"Death to all Jews" is not the fucking joke.
The joke's that they actually held up a sign for $5 that says something really terrible. You coulda swapped out jews for anything/anyone. The point of the shock humor was that these people were actually willing to follow through with it.

Also, rather than be offended over what some idiot says, why not just ignore that shit? Are they really pushing for a resurgence toward another genocide? I doubt it.
RedCollarBlackCollar said:
The joke's that they actually held up a sign for $5 that says something really terrible. You coulda swapped out jews for anything/anyone. The point of the shock humor was that these people were actually willing to follow through with it.

Also, rather than be offended over what some idiot says, why not just ignore that shit? Are they really pushing for a resurgence toward another genocide? I doubt it.
Mean words = murderer
PenKen said:
Did you forget that one of his best friends Ethan Klien, H3H3 is Jewish? And takes pride in his heritage? And is married to a jewish Woman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNSiFrS3n4&t=6s

here's his video on it.
Cool, 2 Jewish people who are close enough friends with him to understand his humor weren't offended, therefor the Jewish community at large would be fine with it.

RedCollarBlackCollar said:

Okay, then why not have the sign say something not blatantly racist and abhorrent? If the point was to show what people were willing to do for $5, you could do that without publishing antisemitic statements on your YouTube channel with millions of subscribers. No, he had to go with the Nazi joke because he's a moron who thinks that shit is funny like so many other braindead people on the internet with Pepe avatars.

And yeah, just ignore it. Normalize that shit. Antisemitism is fine, you guys! It's not like Jewish groups have had to practically BEG the current presidential administration to speak out against the rising tide of anti-Jewish sentiment they're facing or anything. Let's make jokes about it and let the jokesters keep on jokin'.

PenKen said:
Mean words = murderer
Yeah, it's just mean words, you guys.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/living/jcc-bomb-threats-anti-semitism/
http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/over-150-recent-anti-semitic-incidents-shown-on-one-interactive-map/
http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Clear-uptick-in-US-antisemitism-since-election-says-ADL-482639
http://fortune.com/2016/11/17/anti-semitism-donald-trump-jews/

And with this, I'm done. If you guys wanna keep defending this, go right on ahead. It's honestly funny to see people start sticking up for Pewdiepie only after he pays people to hold signs saying "Death to all Jews". If that's the hill you wanna die on, man. Not like pewds needs the help; he's still got his ad revenue and multi-million dollar YouTube channel. But maybe he just doesn't like "mean words" (when they're directed at him).
@mindwipe

I'm not defending pewdipie cause I like the guy.
Look a Colin Mortiarty. Guy made a sexist joke with his girlfriend sitting right next to him. Next thing you know, you have a news organization reporting on him making a racist remark... =____=
https://youtu.be/DxAPUCRQtt4

Also, guy who got arrested for teaching GF's dog to do the worst thing he could imagine as a prank...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/nazi-pug-man-arrested-after-teaching-girlfriends-dog-to-perform/
https://youtu.be/MT3TAGuDioQ

No matter how many times you could say Pewdipie will be fine with how big his channel is, shat about other people that aren't as big and successful as him? Should same, if not worse consequences happen to them because they say something shitty they don't legitimately believe in or support?
My stance on Pewdiepie: Fuck him. He fucked up with his "joke", and now it's bitten him in the everything. He deserves the backlash for being an idiot like that. He could have had the signs say something like "Will jump off a swing at it's peak for $5" or "Will jump into a dumpster for $5". Things like that. Instead, he went for "Death to Jews."... Fuck Pewdiepie, and good riddance to him being Youtube's "Golden Boy". Maybe now they'll actually start listening to the little guys a bit, instead of coddling the Sweedish bastard who got 50 million subscribers.
First post: hey look guys youtube disabled annotations

Most recent posts: Serious thought out and passionate discussion on Free Speech, Offensive Humour, and U.S. Politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP4JtsBnUQ
Diplo_Song said:
First post: hey look guys youtube disabled annotations

Most recent posts: Serious thought out and passionate discussion on Free Speech, Offensive Humour, and U.S. Politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP4JtsBnUQ
That's the internet for you. Slightly off topic, and heavily political.
If mods wanna wipe the threads about the dumb spat, or just wanna lock it and have the original topic be moved to general media news thread, I'm fine with either.
Good goys
Yeah, anti-semitism is very bad
You can laugh at every single christian tho, totally not the same!
Gojulas said:
Good goys
Yeah, anti-semitism is very bad
You can laugh at every single christian tho, totally not the same!
holy shit

Ok so for starters one of those things is an ethnicity/religion and the other is only a religion... That should be a good hint that your comparison is full of shit.
I don't like to laugh at religions but those who do generally don't go out of their way to leave anyone out. It just so happens that Christians are generally the majority in English-speaking countries.

IQ was invented by a Jew so I hope you remember that if you ever advocate for "race realism" based on IQ and crime statistics. Because you seem like that sort of person.
Jesus Christ, this became a shit storm really fast.
YouAreARobotNow said:
holy shit

Ok so for starters one of those things is an ethnicity/religion
Not true. There is a ethnicity correlation, yes, but it doesn't make that statement true. Just a religion.

YouAreARobotNow said:
IQ was invented by a Jew so I hope you remember that if you ever advocate for "race realism" based on IQ and crime statistics. Because you seem like that sort of person.
This is some kind of "who invented that thing and that thing" kind of thing?
Not relevant.
Also, american jews have a very high IQ on average, so it doesn't help that narrative you named.
But hey, be sure to remember the worst human catastrophe ever!
Gojulas said:
Not true. There is a ethnicity correlation, yes, but it doesn't make that statement true. Just a religion.

This is some kind of "who invented that thing and that thing" kind of thing?
Not relevant.
Also, american jews have a very high IQ on average, so it doesn't help that narrative you named.
But hey, be sure to remember the worst human catastrophe ever!
Fuck it, I'll bite.

What are you trying to imply with that last bit?
Gojulas said:
Most consider it both.
"The 2013 Pew Research study of American Jews found that 62% thought that being Jewish was mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while 15% thought that it was mainly a matter of religion. Of those who stated themselves to be Jews by religion, 55% thought that being Jewish was mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while two-thirds thought that it was not necessary to believe in God to be Jewish." http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/jewish-american-beliefs-attitudes-culture-survey/
Just one source. Though it's actually a fairly complicated question with no definite answer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew%3F
Not the demographic I had in mind. One flavor of racism generally goes hand in hand with another. Forgive me for my totally unfair assumption, I've never seen someone use "goy" who wasn't a flaming neo-Nazi.
YouAreARobotNow said:
Ok so for starters one of those things is an ethnicity/religion and the other is only a religion
So the black guy, white woman, and Chinese girl I know who all converted to Judaism from Christianity, are suddenly ALL the same ethnicity, just because they converted to Judaism? I was unaware that genetics worked that way. So if I become a Buddhist, will I finally realize my dream of becoming Asian??

Mindwipe said:
The 1st Amendment does not shield you from public ridicule
That is correct, and that is because nothing is above being made fun of or ridiculed. Including, y'know, Jews.
Mindwipe said:

before i potentially voice my opinion on this, do i get minority points for being a jew?
Yuu-chan said:
So the black guy, white woman, and Chinese girl I know who all converted to Judaism from Christianity, are suddenly ALL the same ethnicity, just because they converted to Judaism? I was unaware that genetics worked that way. So if I become a Buddhist, will I finally realize my dream of becoming Asian??
Jews have a common religion but were also isolated for long enough to be considered their own ethnicity. This can't be said of Christians, Muslims, Hindis, or most other world religions. Your friends are Jews by religion and so am I by ethnicity. But my claim isn't valid according to Jewish law because it's from my father's side. Isn't it all delightfully and needlessly complicated?
YouAreARobotNow said:
Most consider it both.
"The 2013 Pew Research study of American Jews found that 62% thought that being Jewish was mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while 15% thought that it was mainly a matter of religion. Of those who stated themselves to be Jews by religion, 55% thought that being Jewish was mainly a matter of ancestry and culture, while two-thirds thought that it was not necessary to believe in God to be Jewish." http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/jewish-american-beliefs-attitudes-culture-survey/
I spend this last 20 minutes searching for a survey like that one but I failed
I'm pretty sure most religions works like that tho, if your parents and grands were christians with certain values, you will be teach to be that way too.
And about that "closed club" that you need to be part meeting certain requirements (that aren't very clear) to be part of the group gives them points, but again. The ethnicity correlation is not completely true, you can call yourself a jew, maybe you will not be accepted in most groups, but that still gives you the religion!

Diplo_Song said:
Fuck it, I'll bite.

What are you trying to imply with that last bit?
The fact Youtube is going to remove the annotations
Threads must remain at least tangentially on topic. Hopelessly off topic threads may be locked if they cannot be refocused.
Threads with a particularly high chance of causing drama due to their extremely sensitive topics are not to be posted.