PSA: New Windows Update causing Blue Screen of Death Loops. [MAY BE RESOLVED]
Twitter's exploding in it, and my wuvvy G3S4/Sophia has lost her entire C:/ drive.

So windows forced the update on me, and I'm A-OK now. Problem may be passed.
wonderful...fuck that's scary as hell
Imasuky said:
wonderful...fuck that's scary as hell
it is, currently reinstalling everything and now its prompting me to update the same thing that broke it in the first place.. *sigh*
Which windows version and what is the update called? I have a laptop with all important files for school, can't afford to lose it all
Kiseren said:
Which windows version and what is the update called? I have a laptop with all important files for school, can't afford to lose it all
either has delta in the name or KB 4041676
It's a good job the people at Microsoft made it impossible to turn off auto-update on Win 10 devices...
Mindcollector13 said:
It's a good job the people at Microsoft made it impossible to turn off auto-update on Win 10 devices...
Glad I don't use 10
Mindcollector13 said:
Wait, it's impossible? If I recall correctly you can turn them off

EDIT; Nvm, can't find an option to turn it off either
Kiseren said:

Right, it's registry locked, turn it off there if you dare to, not like you'd harm the pc more than the updates do lol
Ok so looking at Microsoft sites, it says that if you have an USB-C type port, ur fucked. If downloaded directly from windows update, it should be fine. Installing it now, hopefully my pc will stay intact
Kiseren said:

It's *possible* but you need to use a nice bit of computer wizardry to do it. There's no "disable auto updates" option anymore.

You essentially need to go fiddle with command prompt stuff which can break your PC regardless if you don't know what you're doing.

Another option is setting your Wifi to a "metered" connection. This will temporarily prevent Windows update from updating automatically, however will still force an update if you turn your PC off.
I managed to find this info, sooo are we safe?

Update KB4041676 is plagued by BSoD loops because Microsoft accidentally rolled out the Delta updates to the WSUS channel. In other words, the fact that two updates got pushed to computers at the same time caused this problem. The good news is that the Delta patch expired and BSoD errors should no longer affect users.
Kiseren said:
Ok so looking at Microsoft sites, it says that if you have an USB-C type port, ur fucked. If downloaded directly from windows update, it should be fine. Installing it now, hopefully my pc will stay intact
I actually downloaded it from their website and that caused the bsod loop, huh
Sophia said:
I actually downloaded it from their website and that caused the bsod loop, huh
Hm, I think that may be the problem? I always use the windows updater that comes with every windows
I think the best idea right now is to steer well clear of this update.

Set your networks to metered to prevent an auto restart, and if possible leave your PC on even if you're not using it.

Wait for a confirmed fix before you update again, and even then back up your files somewhere.

EDIT: Setting a restore point is also smart.
Kiseren said:
Hm, I think that may be the problem? I always use the windows updater that comes with every windows
As in, the first update from the windows updater made my pc run like a potato, bioshock 1 remastered down from 200 fps to barely 20.. uninstalled it and used the official link to fix it.. broke it

Mindcollector13 said:
I think the best idea right now is to steer well clear of this update.

Set your networks to metered to prevent an auto restart, and if possible leave your PC on even if you're not using it.

Wait for a confirmed fix before you update again, and even then back up your files somewhere.
This sadly :(
Yeah, you can only legitimately turn off auto-updates on Windows 10 professional. You can't do it on home edition. Uploaded a backup of my game files so I don't lose the progress I made since last month.
"But why wouldn't you want to have your PC auto update!? It keeps your PC secure! I love Windows 10 for keeping me and others constantly updated!" ~ Windows 10 apologists.

This is what you people get for letting Microsoft install a malware operating system on your PC.
Holy crap, my computer wants to restart and update, but I'm glad I'm didn't.

This sounds bad.
Didn't someone already say earlier that this was resolved? Also, no one here has pointed to any sources saying one way or another. A ton of speculation with no facts isn't very helpful to anyone.
Eh regardless if true or not just gives me more reason to not let this bloody laptop update.
Mindwipe said:
Didn't someone already say earlier that this was resolved? Also, no one here has pointed to any sources saying one way or another. A ton of speculation with no facts isn't very helpful to anyone.
Sources are a bit hard for this. Every "source" I've seen is from Reddit posts or posts on Tech forums, so not exactly experts on this. Just accounts of people who have had this issue happen to them, most contradicting the "official" announcements by MS.

Unfortunately speculation seems like the best we can get, at least for right now.
Mindcollector13 said:
Sources are a bit hard for this. Every "source" I've seen is from Reddit posts or posts on Tech forums, so not exactly experts on this. Just accounts of people who have had this issue happen to them, most contradicting the "official" announcements by MS.

Unfortunately speculation seems like the best we can get, at least for right now.
Pretty sure I got this update just the other day (or at least I got an update) and thus far haven't experienced a BSoD. So at the very least we can say that this isn't guaranteed to affect everyone.
Mindwipe said:
Pretty sure I got this update just the other day (or at least I got an update) and thus far haven't experienced a BSoD. So at the very least we can say that this isn't guaranteed to affect everyone.
Fair. But in the words of some wise person somewhere, "Better safe than sorry"

Or in my case "Better paranoid than sorry"
I have not been blue screened.
Me neither. Then again, I might not have had the hardware that (allegedly) causes the issue, my computer's old.