Halloween question: What scares/used to scare you most?
Happy Halloween ;) To celebrate the time where the things that spook you and fueled your nightmares are honored, I made myself a top 13 Scariest Nostalgic Moments. Link here https://stepfordcrimson.deviantart.com/journal/Top-13-Scariest-Nostalgic-Moments-711428582 ;)

But that got me curious about the kind of stuff that make YOU wanna hide under your blanket. So tell me, what are some of the things that scared you? It can be from a movie, game, TV show, book, or even just something from your past. So share your stories~ And don't worry none of us are judging :P
Venom from Spider-Man 3...the transformation had me crying in the theaters as a kid. But I'm over it now...took me 5 years though :P
Freddy Krueger
Anything with mirrors.

It goes back to a show where this guy kept seeing a monster in all the reflections around him. And it just stuck with me.
Now, I'm a poopy diaper baby.

So, quick rundown. Absolute silence freaks me out, fear of things in the dark but not the dark itself, this one door in resident evil 1 that had a bloody handprint on it that freaked me out so bad with the tension that i just put the damn game down, insects that arent hot in some way or form, slenderman for one period of time, the creature from this house has people in it has been fucking me up for a while, the whole zalgo thing i've never liked, and...

small holes. fucks me up man, makes me all itchy. not even kidding.
Pinkanator said:
Now, I'm a poopy diaper baby.

So, quick rundown. Absolute silence freaks me out, fear of things in the dark but not the dark itself, this one door in resident evil 1 that had a bloody handprint on it that freaked me out so bad with the tension that i just put the damn game down, insects that arent hot in some way or form, slenderman for one period of time, the creature from this house has people in it has been fucking me up for a while, the whole zalgo thing i've never liked, and...

small holes. fucks me up man, makes me all itchy. not even kidding.
I saw a Zalogo costume in a store the other day.
Imasuky said:
I saw a Zalogo costume in a store the other day.
what they said and just surprises, they dont even have to be in a horror movie lol.
Grey aliens. Their eyes freak me out.

That and spiders. >.>
I remember conspiracy theories freaked my out when I was a little squirt, but is was more of a morbid fascination than genuine fear. We've all had that phase, yeah?

Anyhow, these days, as much as I love hypnosis, thinking about its less ethical uses tends to keep me up at night. I actually have a recurring nightmare of some rapist/kidnapper/cultist/etc. taking completely complacent/dazed friends away from in front of me, and for whatever reason- usually a weight that grows until I can't move and suppresses my voice- I can't intervene. In recent years the dream tends to incorporate hypnosis whenever it rears its head, most likely in reference to a great many close calls and a few un-prevented disasters.
But if it's not Holloween does not give too much. :^|
The possibility that love is not enough.
Hmm...a fear of mine, I honestly think that'll be kind of funny, considering it's hypnohub, but here goes

Hypnosis and mind control, in general, used to scare me

As hilarious as the thought is, every time I was exposed to it through media, I at once was aroused (but didn't know that at the time) and was filled with a sense of anxiety, like "this is wrong, this is horrifying" but it intrigued me all the same.

Suffice to say, I'm over it now
blank screens. I feel like my soul is going to be sucked in if I stare at them for too long.
People. Nuff said.
Let's see... There's Baron Von Blubba from Bubble Bobble. The SkiFree Yeti. Drowning in the old Sonic games. Chainsaws. Just like any chainsaw in general :P Him from Powerpuff Girls. The sun from Mario 3
TheDarkenedMercury said:
Let's see... There's Baron Von Blubba from Bubble Bobble. The SkiFree Yeti. Drowning in the old Sonic games. Chainsaws. Just like any chainsaw in general :P Him from Powerpuff Girls. The sun from Mario 3
I just watched a video with most of those listed in it.

You watch ProJared?

Cause if so just a case of making you remember it all.
Chainsaws. Just like any chainsaw in general :P
I'd be much more scared of a psycho with a knife than a psycho with a chainsaw. Chainsaws are absolutely shit as weapons.

They're noisy as fuck, so unless you're in a construction yard, no one's gonna be able to sneak up on you with one.

If they do keep it off until the last moment, you're gonna hear the startup sound, and you have better odds of winning the lottery than you have of starting a chainsaw in under 10 seconds. 10 seconds would be more than enough for me to cripple or kill an untrained fighter, especially if he's using a chainsaw. And I can't see a trained fighter using one as a weapon when things like knives are easily available, easier to hide, silent, and easier weapons all around to use.

Speaking of which, a chainsaw is meant to be pressed and held steady against whatever you want to cut, and has a grip meant to help with that. That grip is absolutely *awful* for fighting. The best way to use a chainsaw in combat is a s a bludgeon, and given the weight and grip of a chainsaw, it'd be like trying to fight someone with a pack of six 2L water bottles. Not opening it and using the water bottles as a bludgeon, they're heavy enough that it might work, but using the full pack by the grip as a bludgeon. Try it some day and let me know how it goes.

And even if you somehow sneak up on someone with a running chainsaw... It's likely to kick back and cut *you* to ribbons if you mess up the execution.

So if you ever get injured by a chainsaw, chances are it's because you tried to use one and messed up, or someone close to you (like, working in the same construction yard as you) messed up while using one.
TheDarkenedMercury said:
[...] Drowning in the old Sonic games. [...]
Okay. That's more terrifying than Spiders. Also, Poison in the old Pokemon games when you were being ballsy and never buying Antidotes as well as selling off any Antidotes you find in the random Item Pokeballs.
Anon_3.141 said:
Okay. That's more terrifying than Spiders. Also, Poison in the old Pokemon games when you were being ballsy and never buying Antidotes as well as selling off any Antidotes you find in the random Item Pokeballs.
at first I thought the poison was some kind of glitch.
For me, it's bees, or anything similar such as wasps. I just can't seem to freak out if they get too close to me. I don't freak out on sight, though. I also can't stand getting injections. I think that one is probably some subliminal scar from my childhood. I just get terrified right before the needle is put in. At least it will scare me away from intravenous drugs.
E.T. the extra terrestrial.... I was an easily scared kid.
Well, let's see:

1. Wasps. I'm deathly allergic to wasps, so if I see one? I GTFO of the building.
2. Clowns. Fuck clowns.
3. Heights. I have a mild balance problem so I'm prone to feeling like I'm gonna fall - having that happen while standing on a balcony 3 or more stories up? Not Fun.
The ski-free yeti.

Fire.
Heights, wasps, parasites of any kind, orwellian brainwashing, lobotomies, clowns, the thought of hurting someone i care about, being truly alone,
Shit like The Grudge, ghosts and the like don't really scare me, unless it's Japanese spirits, just how their done in movies.

I also despise spiders, but's it's less of a fear thing, since no spider has ever hurt me, and more of a hate thing out of the mere fact of what I've heard.

honestly, now that I think about it, the only real thing i'm scared of is pain, as abstract as that is. I could handle a thing like a spirit after me, but the thought of it harming me in some way is what scares me.
Pinkanator said:
the whole zalgo thing i've never liked, and...
I'm too late for Halloween here, but I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing here? Are you talking about that old edit thing that started in the Something Awful Forums years ago? The one that was originally made for messing with old Archie comic strips and later got used for mocking Tim Buckley's comics? Because that shit was hilarious.

NamesAreForTheWeak said:
2. Clowns. Fuck clowns.
I never really understood the big deal about clowns. But I'll make a confession and say that when I was little I didn't really care for clowns either way but used to pretend that I liked them because I knew other people were scared of them.

other posters said:
the SkiFree Yeti, the Mario 3 Sun
See, these make perfect sense to me because their whole thing is constant pursuit, and in the case of the former, inevitability. A lot of fear stems from powerlessness, and these guys you can't stop and have no power at all but to keep running.

Anyway, for me I guess it's spiders and public humiliation.
See, these make perfect sense to me because their whole thing is constant pursuit, and in the case of the former, inevitability.
You know you can press F to go faster in SkiFree and outrun the Yeti right?
NamesAreForTheWeak said:
You know you can press F to go faster in SkiFree and outrun the Yeti right?
I hadn't played it since I was a little kid, I didn't know that back then, no. So maybe that warped my memories of it.
Surprisingly, Very little, I think the worst to me is spiders, though that's closer to me reacting to them movie fast or surprising me.
It's late but I'm going to hop on the "I hate spiders" train because they're spiders and they're terrifying.