Saimin Yuugi Translation Project ☆Recruiting Translators☆
EDIT:

▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █Attention to any potential translators█ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂
If you are willing to help contribute to translating this game, please contact me and I can get you involved with this project. The translation process will be simple on your end, you'll receive a .txt file and you just need to translate each line.

Once we get at least a small team of translators going, I'll think about recruiting some editors and proof-readers as well.

Here's a video of the entire prologue (machine) translated as a sort of proof-of-concept for this whole thing to show that this is feasible. And here's the patch for it, just drag and drop the contents into the directory where the game is installed.
Original Post:

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a really long time now, but now I'm finally crawling out of my den to present a proof of concept for a Saimin Yuugi translation.

I've machine translated a small portion of the prologue. Of course, since it's a machine translation, it's probably not 100% accurate. It seems to work okay-ish, except for the problem of line breaks happening in the middle of words. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it either. I'm not a programmer nor am I good at reverse-engineering. All of what I did was done using tools already available online (exfp3 to extract the data files and mangekyou_util to repackage them).

Anyways, here's a video of what it looks like and for those of you who actually own the game, here's a patch that you can download. To apply the patch, you find the directory where the game is installed, drag-and-drop the contents of the zip file into it, and confirm any overwrite confirmations. Oh, and you still need to launch the game with a Japanese locale.

I imagine people wouldn't really want a machine translated version of Saimin Yuugi from me, so my hope for this is that it might spur a community-run translation of the game, a sort of group effort. Something like that might not be entirely realistic, but a man can dream, can't he?

Well, if there's someone interested in giving this a shot, I can provide more details on what I did to edit the game.
Get a Patreon.

You deserve $$$.
At this point I don't care if someone translate the game with an translation machine as long as the translator rewrite the text so that sentences make sense.

I appreciate any attempt to translate this game.
So, I went ahead and MTL'd a little bit more of the prologue. I've updated the link to the patch, and here's the video of the new content.
Looks great so far my guy!
Okay, so I've got word wrapping to work, kind of. I think this is as close as I can get without having to manually edit each line. It works as it should about 75% of the time. I'm not sure what's causing the other 25% to happen. Here's a look.
Another scene in the prologue MTL'd. A shorter one this time. Patch link updated again. Video here.

As you can see though, the word wrapping system I tried to do doesn't seem to be working as well as I hoped it would. As I said before, it seems that what I'm doing doesn't work for about 25% of the dialogue. I'm not sure what to do. The character limit per line break is normally 55, but can sometimes fluctuate between 54 and 56 in a seemingly unpredictable manner. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's messing up the formatting.
Another scene done. Patch link is updated and video here. We're getting pretty close to the end of the prologue. I'm not too sure what to do past that point.
I like this thing you're doing. Is there any way I can help?
Swirly said:
I like this thing you're doing. Is there any way I can help?
Thanks for the offer. Are you able to translate? Having more translators would really help and perhaps would turn this into an legitimate project, but other than that, there's not much else that can be done.
fallingdown said:
Thanks for the offer. Are you able to translate? Having more translators would really help and perhaps would turn this into an legitimate project, but other than that, there's not much else that can be done.
You could always teach your methods to other people and then we could get the process sped up a little.
Unfortunately, the best I can do is translate a small number of sentences or pick out words, especially since I can't read very much kanji. So I can't really help.
LillyTank said:
You could always teach your methods to other people and then we could get the process sped up a little.
By that, do you mean the methods I use to machine translate, how I decompile/recompile the game, or both?
fallingdown said:
By that, do you mean the methods I use to machine translate, how I decompile/recompile the game, or both?
Yes. That is correct understanding of my inquiry.
fallingdown said:
I don't think I can do that very well. Sorry.
This may be reaching here, but go ask /d/ or /hgg/. They've translated H-games independently before (Artificial Academy 2 comes to mind) and you've already removed the primary barrier to entry. (Beyond, you know, actually knowing Japanese.)
PhaseTwo said:
This may be reaching here, but go ask /d/ or /hgg/. They've translated H-games independently before (Artificial Academy 2 comes to mind) and you've already removed the primary barrier to entry. (Beyond, you know, actually knowing Japanese.)
Do you have links?
Alright, here's a .zip with all the tools I used to translate the game along with a lengthy readme that details the procedures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ClYqooqZZbCJOOGqEYLepzTYJ7Q9yOjW

I need to sleep now, so I'll post about how I MTL later.
fallingdown said:
Alright, here's a .zip with all the tools I used to translate the game along with a lengthy readme that details the procedures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ClYqooqZZbCJOOGqEYLepzTYJ7Q9yOjW

I need to sleep now, so I'll post about how I MTL later.
Is this all a set process? If so, have you considered just making a bot that can do this at mass?
LillyTank said:
Is this all a set process? If so, have you considered just making a bot that can do this at mass?
Well, there isn't really a way to have this all done at once since the decompiled dialogue needs to be translated before its recompiled, which would require human intervention about half-way into the whole process.
Another scene of the prologue is done. Video here, and the patch link has also been updated.
The last scene of the prologue/common route is done. Video here and patch link has been updated.

Now the question is, where to go from here? Obviously, I'll go back on the previous scenes and fix some typos I noticed along the way, but other than that, do I keep going? Do I leave this as a proof-of-concept prologue patch until a proper translator takes over?

What do you guys think?
Make a complete playthrough vid for the Intro (till the movie plays). Then ask for Translators on reddit and here to join. Ogodei-Khan comes to mind as someone who translates. There are probably more, but he/she comes in mind first and will probably be able to give you more names. Probably need at least 5 to not burn them out, but thats something I don't know a lot about.

Btw, I did eng subs for the intro movie. Might be helpful, use them however you like. I uploaded the SRT Softsubs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5njxjd7ej5vfeh/MOV_SYG_OP.srt?dl=0

Put it into the same folder the ogv movie file is ( ./GameData/Movie) and open the movie file with a movie player like MPC-HC. If you enabled subtitles in your Movie Player, they should show automatically. That does however not work when the movie is played from within the game. For that, you will probably need to hardcode them into the file. If you want to go all out, add a custom font and also put in the names of the characters and seiyuus of that opener movie.

Good Luck!

/Vanish
Alright, I think I've pretty much finalized the prologue patch at this point. Some typos I noticed before were fixed and I also improved the word-wrapping system a bit, there are still some minor flaws though. The link has been updated, and as per HypnoMangaEditor's suggestion, I've made a video of the entire intro.

With that, I'll start formally recruiting translators for this. I suppose this is a project now. I'll also ask around on reddit.
How are you pulling out the text? This could be something that I could chip in a bit with depending on if you have the text ripped out of the software.

DM me with details because I am *not* going to remember to read this thread, lol. I don't visit these forums as much as I should anymore...
If you are okay with slow, potentially incorrect translations of only best girl's route then Crad's shitty translations may just be right for you! By using his abysmal knowledge of Japanese, google translate, Jisho, and KanjiTomo, Crad guarantees Rui's route will be at least somewhat be readable eventually (maybe) so everyone could learn to appreciate more of best girl. This offer is only for a limited time, so don't wait! Smush your face against those keys and take advantage of this deal right now!

(Please ask your inner conscience if shitty translations are alright with you. Crad takes no responsibility and all the credit for his translations. Not recommended if you already have better [ie. any other] translator offers. Please note the offer may be dropped if Crad gets too busy with existing. Offer does not extend to the section where best girl thinks she's a little girl.)
I don't know if this is against the rules, but where can one find this game? I know it hasn't been translated, so it's kinda hard to find, but if this project does turn out to be successful, (which I hope it does) I want to try this game out.
I'm not a translator, but if you're ever in need of an editor, someone to look over text and maybe make it sound a bit more natural in English, you can hit me up. I have some experience helping Cradily with editing some of his manga translations for this site.
averageguy17 said:
I don't know if this is against the rules, but where can one find this game? I know it hasn't been translated, so it's kinda hard to find, but if this project does turn out to be successful, (which I hope it does) I want to try this game out.
If you want to get the game legally, you would have to buy it. I think posting about any non-legal means is against the rules.
Well, I posted about the project on reddit, and received a...not-so-welcome reception. Suffice to say, I don't believe we'll be getting help from reddit's visual novel community any time soon.

Any other ideas for reaching out to potential translators?
fallingdown said:
Well, I posted about the project on reddit, and received a...not-so-welcome reception. Suffice to say, I don't believe we'll be getting help from reddit's visual novel community any time soon.

Any other ideas for reaching out to potential translators?
Hmm... maybe check out some of the other hypnosis subreddits like /r/hypnohentai or /r/nwfwgaming

Our fetish... is kinda niche, so I kinda expected the kind of reaction you got on the biggest visual novel community on the site.