Saimin Yuugi Translation Proof of Concept
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a really long time now, but now I'm finally crawling out of my den to present a proof of concept for a Saimin Yuugi translation.

I've machine translated a small portion of the prologue. Of course, since it's a machine translation, it's probably not 100% accurate. It seems to work okay-ish, except for the problem of line breaks happening in the middle of words. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it either. I'm not a programmer nor am I good at reverse-engineering. All of what I did was done using tools already available online (exfp3 to extract the data files and mangekyou_util to repackage them).

Anyways, here's a video of what it looks like and for those of you who actually own the game, here's a patch that you can download. To apply the patch, you find the directory where the game is installed, drag-and-drop the contents of the zip file into it, and confirm any overwrite confirmations. Oh, and you still need to launch the game with a Japanese locale.

I imagine people wouldn't really want a machine translated version of Saimin Yuugi from me, so my hope for this is that it might spur a community-run translation of the game, a sort of group effort. Something like that might not be entirely realistic, but a man can dream, can't he?

Well, if there's someone interested in giving this a shot, I can provide more details on what I did to edit the game.
Get a Patreon.

You deserve $$$.
At this point I don't care if someone translate the game with an translation machine as long as the translator rewrite the text so that sentences make sense.

I appreciate any attempt to translate this game.
So, I went ahead and MTL'd a little bit more of the prologue. I've updated the link to the patch, and here's the video of the new content.
Looks great so far my guy!
Okay, so I've got word wrapping to work, kind of. I think this is as close as I can get without having to manually edit each line. It works as it should about 75% of the time. I'm not sure what's causing the other 25% to happen. Here's a look.
Another scene in the prologue MTL'd. A shorter one this time. Patch link updated again. Video here.

As you can see though, the word wrapping system I tried to do doesn't seem to be working as well as I hoped it would. As I said before, it seems that what I'm doing doesn't work for about 25% of the dialogue. I'm not sure what to do. The character limit per line break is normally 55, but can sometimes fluctuate between 54 and 56 in a seemingly unpredictable manner. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's messing up the formatting.
Another scene done. Patch link is updated and video here. We're getting pretty close to the end of the prologue. I'm not too sure what to do past that point.
I like this thing you're doing. Is there any way I can help?
Swirly said:
I like this thing you're doing. Is there any way I can help?
Thanks for the offer. Are you able to translate? Having more translators would really help and perhaps would turn this into an legitimate project, but other than that, there's not much else that can be done.
fallingdown said:
Thanks for the offer. Are you able to translate? Having more translators would really help and perhaps would turn this into an legitimate project, but other than that, there's not much else that can be done.
You could always teach your methods to other people and then we could get the process sped up a little.
Unfortunately, the best I can do is translate a small number of sentences or pick out words, especially since I can't read very much kanji. So I can't really help.
LillyTank said:
You could always teach your methods to other people and then we could get the process sped up a little.
By that, do you mean the methods I use to machine translate, how I decompile/recompile the game, or both?
fallingdown said:
By that, do you mean the methods I use to machine translate, how I decompile/recompile the game, or both?
Yes. That is correct understanding of my inquiry.
fallingdown said:
I don't think I can do that very well. Sorry.
This may be reaching here, but go ask /d/ or /hgg/. They've translated H-games independently before (Artificial Academy 2 comes to mind) and you've already removed the primary barrier to entry. (Beyond, you know, actually knowing Japanese.)
PhaseTwo said:
This may be reaching here, but go ask /d/ or /hgg/. They've translated H-games independently before (Artificial Academy 2 comes to mind) and you've already removed the primary barrier to entry. (Beyond, you know, actually knowing Japanese.)
Do you have links?
Alright, here's a .zip with all the tools I used to translate the game along with a lengthy readme that details the procedures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ClYqooqZZbCJOOGqEYLepzTYJ7Q9yOjW

I need to sleep now, so I'll post about how I MTL later.
fallingdown said:
Alright, here's a .zip with all the tools I used to translate the game along with a lengthy readme that details the procedures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ClYqooqZZbCJOOGqEYLepzTYJ7Q9yOjW

I need to sleep now, so I'll post about how I MTL later.
Is this all a set process? If so, have you considered just making a bot that can do this at mass?
LillyTank said:
Is this all a set process? If so, have you considered just making a bot that can do this at mass?
Well, there isn't really a way to have this all done at once since the decompiled dialogue needs to be translated before its recompiled, which would require human intervention about half-way into the whole process.