what i've been hearing and seeing about the movie lately is just making me want to watch it less tbh but at least yall are having fun
The movie was good but I feel the most wasted part was the hypnoclock in the apartment. The focus was on that thing the entire time Elastigirl was walking through the room, and she was even staring at it when she was approaching it. Would have been a perfect scene for her to zone out or fall a little before the action scene.
hypno94 said:
The movie was good but I feel the most wasted part was the hypnoclock in the apartment. The focus was on that thing the entire time Elastigirl was walking through the room, and she was even staring at it when she was approaching it. Would have been a perfect scene for her to zone out or fall a little before the action scene.
I just know that some one out there made a conspiracy theory saying that everything past that point was all just an illusion and shes still back at that apartment looking at that hypno clock.
master226 said:
I wish the whole "villain was really someone else" wasn't as obvious as it was. Personally I was hoping it was really a guy.
Everyone was expecting Winston to be the Screenslaver, since he orchestrated Elastigirl's comeback, and had a similar build to what we saw of the Screenslaver.
Bbworm said:
what i've been hearing and seeing about the movie lately is just making me want to watch it less tbh but at least yall are having fun
Remove the hypnosis for a moment.

It's an amazing movie. It's the perfect sequel to the original, however it doesn't do quite enough to stand on it's own. It picks up literally the instant the first ends, so you can just watch them back to back and treat it as one movie and it will work perfectly.
If we're talking about the movie outside the MC content then it's solid though I'd say it's no way near as nuanced and multi-layered as the first.

Incredibles 1 could be viewed as a super hero family story, the first good adaptation of The Fantastic Four and arguably "Watchmen for kids" if Alan Moore was an objectivist. But it also had the overt theme of adultery where parents can see the subtext of Rob going to the island and meeting with Mirage as an analogy for him seeing another woman.

The moment she notices the hair, catches him in a lie about going to work and tells him "I love you. So much" as he is leaving to see (in her eyes) another woman? That may be the best scene I have seen in a kids movie because it doesn't break the immersion of the intended audience, but gives such a powerful moment and plot to the adults.

Incredibles 2 lacks both the "running in parallel" story mixed into the subtext and it lacks an over-arching political ideology.

I disagreed with the "society holds exceptional people back in the interests of fairness and celebrates mediocrity when the truth is there are people who are simply Better and we as a people need to hoist those people on our shoulders and let them reach their potential." story (and to be fair, it's open to interpretation there, so no need to rebutt my quoted reading, I'm aware of multiple ways to view the fiction, I'm simply noting an easily understood one from the "if everyone's special, no one is" line to make my point) but you know what? It made its points with memorable soundbytes, engaging story and -with only one major issue regarding the insurance subplot- was true to its themes and used them as the backbone for its entire narrative.

In comparison, 2?

The most consistent themes I have been able to see read into it are both read out by Screenslaver. Once while playing a character and therefore anything they say is obfuscation of their real goals. (the "we rely too much on television. We don't talk, we watch talkshows" speech, which wasn't Evelyn's motivation)

And her monolgue about how relying on societal functions like the police instead of taking care of yourself leaves you weak and vulnerable and society will not help you, only you can help you.

It kiiiind of meshes with the first film's objectionist views (also spouted by the villain, so there's a lot of leway to disagree) but the difference is OUR MAIN CHARACTERS felt the same way Syndrome did. Dash couldn't perform well at school, Rob was livid about graduating the second grade. Syndrome's evil quote is spoken first by Helen in the first act.

The themes of Incredibles 1 is the backbone of the movie.

In Incredibles 2 they feel like an unnecessary afterthought which barely make sense due to the twist.
I haven't seen the movie yet (all my theaters keep selling out), but I'm trying, and I can promise I'll NEED to do some hypno art afterward.
bellchan said:
If we're talking about the movie outside the MC content then it's solid though I'd say it's no way near as nuanced and multi-layered as the first.
the twist.
Saw the movie last night, and I more or less agree with this review exactly. It is an IMMENSELY enjoyable movie, with some of the biggest laughs I've had in a theater all year, some genuinely exceptional action sequences and animation, and even some character beats that I thought were interesting...but ultimately, none of its story threads have any real meat to them, the character arcs are thin and kind of retreaded ground from the first one, and there just doesn't seem to be the kind of broader, overarching thematic strength that was such a key piece of the original, which feels especially odd when you take into account that it's been over a decade since then; it's strange to think they'd finally bite the bullet on revisiting this franchise (especially after creator Brad Bird spent the better part of the 14 years separating the two movies being so adamant about NOT doing a sequel) without actually having found anything meaningful to say with it. It leaves me in the odd position of being able to enthusiastically recommend the movie-it's a GREAT time, it's super-fun, I'll probably end up going to see it again at some point-while also finding it profoundly disappointing.
The MC stuff is hot as hell, though. I mean, it's brief, but the expressions and body language DEFINITELY pushed the right buttons for me.
I had fun when I saw it last night. I think one of the things I enjoyed about the Screenslaver was how genuinely threatening they felt. Most hypno themed villains in comic books and the like are usually seen as powerless without their gimmicky toys. This time Screenslaver felt more proactive and hands-on.

I especially liked the fight Elastigirl had against who she thought was Screenslaver in his hideout. He lured her into a metal cage that spat out his hypnosis screens from all sides, forcing her to fight with her eyes closed while he continually struck her with some kind of cattle prod on steroids to either make her pass out or force her eyes open. It's very intense and kind of scary, especially how the lights keep playing off the horror show mask he's wearing.

This character's going to be popular around here. I get that a lot of us here missed having a substantial message in the film like the first one did, but sometimes having a fun movie is enough for me.
I just wanna say... Helen Parr's voice is a lot coarser than she used to sound. 14 years, time's really a bitch isn't it.
laststand0810 said:
I just wanna say... Helen Parr's voice is a lot coarser than she used to sound. 14 years, time's really a bitch isn't it.
Yeah. Holly Hunter just turned 60. There’s a Grandma’s Peach Tea joke somewhere, but I like to forget she was in that abortion of a DC movie.
bellchan said:
I disagreed with the "society holds exceptional people back in the interests of fairness and celebrates mediocrity when the truth is there are people who are simply Better and we as a people need to hoist those people on our shoulders and let them reach their potential." story (and to be fair, it's open to interpretation there, so no need to rebutt my quoted reading, I'm aware of multiple ways to view the fiction, I'm simply noting an easily understood one from the "if everyone's special, no one is" line to make my point)
Yeeeeeah... This was something I never really thought much about when I was younger (and I mean, that line still sounds awesome coming from a villain), but as I thought about it more as an adult, I thought "Is that really the message they were trying to send?" "Some people are just born better than you, and we should elevate those people rather than make them feel as lame as us." I mean, that can't be the actual intended lesson, right? But I'm not sure how else to interpret that theme.

Maybe the intended lesson was supposed to be that we should celebrate the things that make us unique instead of trying to all be the same? But that doesn't really fit with some of the things that were said...
Mindwipe said:
Yeeeeeah... This was something I never really thought much about when I was younger (and I mean, that line still sounds awesome coming from a villain), but as I thought about it more as an adult, I thought "Is that really the message they were trying to send?" "Some people are just born better than you, and we should elevate those people rather than make them feel as lame as us." I mean, that can't be the actual intended lesson, right? But I'm not sure how else to interpret that theme.
That’s... not the message they were getting across at all. It’s the importance of self-acceptance and that people should be willing to embrace their true nature instead of hiding who you really are. Put simply: don’t be afraid to be yourself. The “if everyone is special, no one is” line is portrayed as a cynical way of thinking, not as the overall theme of the movie.
siren87 said:
That’s... not the message they were getting across at all. It’s the importance of self-acceptance and that people should be willing to embrace their true nature instead of hiding who you really are. Put simply: don’t be afraid to be yourself. The “if everyone is special, no one is” line is portrayed as a cynical way of thinking, not as the overall theme of the movie.
That... actually makes a lot of sense. Bob starts out with that same attitude, and it ultimately puts his whole family in danger. And Syndrome's world view is shown to be the result of years of resentment and loathing, and results in him wasting his own gifts.

So, thanks, that actually gave me a different perspective on things.
Heard that incredibles 2 is being issued with a seizure warning. Guess Screenslaver went a bit overboard with the strobing screens
Ahah I'm going to see it tomorrow with a group from my animation company... Including one of the top production guy because they want to see our movie trailer being played before the movie. Hopefully they can find good inspiration in their next motion picture in it... :^)

One of my secret bucket list is to work on an animation where there's hypno/brainwashing fucked up stuff in it...
TheFinalAnubis said:
Heard that incredibles 2 is being issued with a seizure warning. Guess Screenslaver went a bit overboard with the strobing screens
Like you wouldn't believe. Especially in that fight scene I mentioned.
quainz said:
Ahah I'm going to see it tomorrow with a group from my animation company... Including one of the top production guy because they want to see our movie trailer being played before the movie. Hopefully they can find good inspiration in their next motion picture in it... :^)

One of my secret bucket list is to work on an animation where there's hypno/brainwashing fucked up stuff in it...
I hope they find that inspiration they are looking for.
Mindwipe said:
That... actually makes a lot of sense. Bob starts out with that same attitude, and it ultimately puts his whole family in danger. And Syndrome's world view is shown to be the result of years of resentment and loathing, and results in him wasting his own gifts.

So, thanks, that actually gave me a different perspective on things.
That's the problem with thematic analysis these days, the villain often declares his way of thinking, and people take *that* as the message. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've noticed happening a lot recently.
Pinkanator said:
That's the problem with thematic analysis these days, the villain often declares his way of thinking, and people take *that* as the message. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've noticed happening a lot recently.
I think it’s because villains nowadays skirt the line between black and white so much—whereas they used to just exclaim “I SHALL RULE THE WORLD!!!1!!” and that was their motivation for killing the gud gais, instead their motives are driven by real emotions and viewpoints that are almost logical except for a few glaring flaws. There was some logic in Syndrome’s world-view, but it was clouded by bitterness and cynicism thanks to having been disappointed by someone he looked up to on a fanatical level. He’s somewhat relatable in his anger, but we the audience only sympathize with him so far because he took it to an extreme conclusion.
It had its moments.... I was a little let down if I am being honest.... :(
DouDile said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=togSOxrU2a8

My god i love this scene.
Isn't this the main reason why nearly everyone on this website wanted to watch the movie (besides the fact that it's a sequel to an amazing Pixar film) ?
TheFinalAnubis said:
I saw it with friends the other day. The scenes where the screens are going hurt my eyes a lot. After the first one I had to squint every time. They really went overboard with it.

TheMadPrince said:
Isn't this the main reason why nearly everyone on this website wanted to watch the movie (besides the fact that it's a sequel to an amazing Pixar film) ?
I just wanted to know what happened with the underminer.
and we still kind of didn't get that.
TalahDarkfang said:
I saw it with friends the other day. The scenes where the screens are going hurt my eyes a lot. After the first one I had to squint every time. They really went overboard with it.

I just wanted to know what happened with the underminer.
and we still kind of didn't get that.
I’m borderline epileptic—rapid flashing lights and images make me feel nauseous and make me experience mild muscle spasms—so I’ll be skipping this movie : / Shame, I was really looking forward to it. Too bad they didn’t just go with a cartoony spiral effect.
Well I just wanna say I loved it and I wish there was more of it.

Seriously, every time they showed scenes of people having blank stares, I wish it showed a bit longer XD

Oh well, it was great and those Elastigirl scenes... oooooffffff
bellchan said:
The themes in Incredibles 1 is the backbone of the movie. In Incredibles 2 they feel like an unnecessary afterthought which barely make sense due to the twist.
The moral centre of the villain certainly didn't get the time it deserved. Syndromes motives were crystal clear in the first movie. But when Elastigirl is tied up and they have that talk that's supposed to clarify the villains motivation, it's mostly just tearing down the assumptions the heroes have made and... doesn't really replace them with anything coherent. Because what exactly is she getting out of this? If she wanted supers to stay illegal all she had to do was... nothing. They were already illegal, they only had a chance for that to change because of work she and her brother put into challenging the status quo. If she just wanted to show up her brother, she could have, easily. But she didn't, because although she thought he was an idiot for idolising supers, she didn't exactly hate him. She showed a lot of respect for his talents as a marketeer and a people person, traits she personally lacked. Maybe it's just me, and I missed the part that made sense because the conversation really goes by quite fast, but given that they go out of their way to play that scene, it fails rather badly in it's intentions. (Not that I mind, because I'm on this site and really, every time she goes under is a thrill, but objectively the dialogue and beats for that scene needed another few passes.)

Overall though I loved the movie. It's fun, it's stylish, it has great fights (Jack-Jack vs Racoon top ten anime battles 2018), and regardless of the motives of the villain, the motives & goals of our family of heroes were clear 100% of the time. The unexpected amounts of hypno were an unexpected gift that has me logging into the hub again after a bit of an absence. Two thumbs up, it's a good flick.
Proxy51 said:
The unexpected amounts of hypno were an unexpected gift that has me logging into the hub again after a bit of an absence. Two thumbs up, It's a good flick.
Between Aqua Corruption and Incredibles Hypno this is exactly why I returned after a loooong break from the hub.
Two things I'd like to add to the discussion:

1/ While not likely in a Disney movie, how interesting would it have been if it had turned out Winston Deavor had murdered his parents for the inheritance, and Evelyn Deavor became the Screenslaver, but neither of them knew the others secret?

2/The version of hypno used is kind of unique. It has pretty clear rules so lets break it down:

*Instantly effective (the only character who resists for more than a second is Mr.Incredible, who still had his blood pumping from being in a fight.)

*Auto memory loss / time loss without controller having to say anything - seems like a built-in feature.

*No apparent lasting effect when control is regained. Not exactly tested with triggers or anything, but we have to assume it's the limit of the tech and Evelyn knows her own tech.

*Can work at a distance but target has to be looking directly at the screen/image. Just peripheral vision doesn't have any effect.

*Default hypnotised state is a 'ready' state. Target stays sitting if sitting, standing if standing, but has head up and is alert (for want of a better term.) If no orders come, they just wait.

*Slaves are extremely competent, and can carry out very complicated commands with no drawbacks, even improvising if needed.

All-in-all a pretty complete package (if I've forgotten anything remind me.) The only downside seems to be a common tech-control flaw, which is damage to the tech disables control. But hey, I think goggles and slack expressions are kinda hot, so sign me the fuck up :D
Not about the hypno, but can we talk about how Jack-Jack put the fear of God into Lucius and how he was about to say “Fuck” but the line cut off?