I've just been made aware of this site that creates a binding agreement where if someone doesn't pay you in exposure, they are then compelled to pay in cash.

Sounds great for creatives and at a large enough scale can help change the conversation about commission and gig work.
Sir_Lurksalaot said:
I've just been made aware of this site that creates a binding agreement where if someone doesn't pay you in exposure, they are then compelled to pay in cash.

Sounds great for creatives and at a large enough scale can help change the conversation about commission and gig work.
Holy shit it's literately exposure bucks
Imasuky said:
Holy shit it's literately exposure bucks
IKR

mini rant
Man that FLCL: Progressive sure was a thing.

I didn't even realize until this morning that it's a Production IG show instead of Gainax, which makes me more intrigued, but also maybe more disheartened about the first episode.
So, people might have read the news about Steve Ditko's death. Unless I read it wrong, the article I read said it was actually a coroner's office officially made the announcement yesterday that a body they found last week was positively identified as Ditko's. Last week Harlan Ellison died as well, so that makes two legends lost to us last week.

The two of them were, by all accounts, terribly unpleasant old men. However they both left behind incredibly influential bodies of work, and left incredible marks upon their fields that we dumb nerds consume today.

Harlan Ellison once described fandom as, "a giant therapy support group," and for once wasn't making fun his fans but taking earnestly about himself as well as others.

Unironically RIP to a pair of real ones.
The entire cosplay world found many of momokuns collective sexual assault accusations and gave her a collective and deserving BEGONE THOT.
skullman2033 said:
The entire cosplay world found many of momokuns collective sexual assault accusations and gave her a collective and deserving BEGONE THOT.
I had never even heard of her before but just a look at one article with the number of people coming out...damn!

Glad she's been exposed for that and won't get away with it anymore
Imasuky said:
I had never even heard of her before but just a look at one article with the number of people coming out...damn!

Imasuky said:

I only just started recently seeing thumbnails for it on youtube and some clip where she blames it on ADHD or something. Really, like you i've never heard of momkun before till now.
Imasuky said:

Argonis said:
I only just started recently seeing thumbnails for it on youtube and some clip where she blames it on ADHD or something. Really, like you i've never heard of momkun before till now.
Shame she had to be rotten and break the first rule of cosplaying. She's pretty.
Hide Princess Trunks.
So the new episode of Steven Universe that's dropped on apps/demand services but on broadcast tv yet has a new villain reveal. And it's probably the first time a villain on that show has actually been creepy and/or intimidating since Malachite in season 2.
notanotheralias said:
So the new episode of Steven Universe that's dropped on apps/demand services but on broadcast tv yet has a new villain reveal. And it's probably the first time a villain on that show has actually been creepy and/or intimidating since Malachite in season 2.
spoiler
Defcon7 said:
spoiler
I feel more as if White was just pure, 100% cloudcoocoolander... with actual powers.
Escapist Magazine is under old ownership and is getting the band back together wooooooo!

apolitical political rant

Also, how bout dat Overwatch League??????????
This might mark me as a total pleb, but I never stopped enjoying Yahtzee's reviews. And for some years now I've checked his videos every few weeks, and looked at absolutely nothing else on that terrible website.

Unless they're somehow messing with his videos, then I expect that is what I'll continue to do.

And re: the Steven Universe stuff:

What some of the last episode puts me in the mind of is that we've still never actually seen much of Gem society outside of a few colonies and space stations. We don't actually know what their culture is like when not dealing with an intergalactic war. There's also the issue that they're ageless. It also gets me thinking about ages
spoiler
notanotheralias said:
This might mark me as a total pleb, but I never stopped enjoying Yahtzee's reviews. And for some years now I've checked his videos every few weeks, and looked at absolutely nothing else on that terrible website.

Unless they're somehow messing with his videos, then I expect that is what I'll continue to do.

And re: the Steven Universe stuff:

What some of the last episode puts me in the mind of is that we've still never actually seen much of Gem society outside of a few colonies and space stations. We don't actually know what their culture is like when not dealing with an intergalactic war. There's also the issue that they're ageless. It also gets me thinking about ages
spoiler
I like Yahtzee's reviews they are entertaining to watch though i haven't been on the site for years now
Argonis said:
I like Yahtzee's reviews they are entertaining to watch though i haven't been on the site for years now
The youtube channel is pretty much jut his personal channel anymore
https://80.lv/articles/vroid-studio-a-free-character-app/

Has anyone else heard of this?
This seems pretty damn amazing to me. XD

This is apparently a software that allows for easy 3D anime modeling and it's supposedly FREE!

Edit:
Here is more info in another link: https://www.pixivision.net/en/a/3640

2nd Edit: Some YouTube links:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vroid+studio
Some big cosplayer is doing a screenslaver inspired photoshoot in an Elastigirl costume. Sadly zero effort was put into the goggles with them just being regular shades with a lazy glow orb effect pasted over them which is a shame because the set of the shoot looks pretty nice. Hopefully this will inspire other cosplayers to try and make their own screenslaver variant costumes in the future.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bishoujomom/status/1023779868289499137 link to some pictures.
LillyTank said:
https://80.lv/articles/vroid-studio-a-free-character-app/

Has anyone else heard of this?
This seems pretty damn amazing to me. XD

This is apparently a software that allows for easy 3D anime modeling and it's supposedly FREE!

Edit:
Here is more info in another link: https://www.pixivision.net/en/a/3640

2nd Edit: Some YouTube links:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vroid+studio
So, seriously? No one wants to talk about this? Should I make its own thread for it?
LillyTank said:
So, seriously? No one wants to talk about this? Should I make its own thread for it?
Probably would help, since it's less "General Media" and more "Cool thing that can be used for General Media".
There was a power outage about 24h ago at least in part of Wallonia and Flanders (two main regions of Belgium). I've yet to see anything about it in the news here. The only thing I've heard was from an American friend telling me CNN said it was a government planned shutdown to repair some stuff at the nuclear power plants.

Anyone know any Belgian news papers or sources on this? It's so weird I had to go to America to hear anything...
Friye said:
There was a power outage about 24h ago at least in part of Wallonia and Flanders (two main regions of Belgium). I've yet to see anything about it in the news here. The only thing I've heard was from an American friend telling me CNN said it was a government planned shutdown to repair some stuff at the nuclear power plants.

Anyone know any Belgian news papers or sources on this? It's so weird I had to go to America to hear anything...
Admittedly I didn't spend too much time, but of curiosity I made a cursory search, including on CNN and Reuters World's websites and I didn't find anything at all.

The only thing I found mentioning the power outage at all was a small english-language website about Flanders news that just talked about the surprisingly huge impact the sudden power outage had on Flanders' biggest airport. From the article it seemed like the outage took everyone by surprise and that no-one has an explanation yet.

I'm just an Ugly American so I wouldn't know for sure of course, but just by going from the non-relevant search results I got it seems like trouble with your country's nuclear plants is kind of a recurring thing. I guess they maintained some sort of damage or wear beyond expectations over time and that trying to stop this from spilling over into an emergency without losing access to their output has been an ongoing issue for years. That's just one of the risks of nuclear power I suppose.
Now that's something that I always figured must be true in addition to whatever else is going on.

At the end of the day, a lot of these tech firms are being run by people who are just absolute dumbasses.

Anyway, speaking of crowdfunding platforms, the Aquabats have a kickstarter campaign now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theaquabats/wearetheaquabats

To paraphrase something MC Bat Commander said in an interview about getting a tv show after trying and failing for years,

"Other networks looked at our pitches and said, 'The Aquabats, well maybe we would have given them a show like a decade ago, but why would we put them on tv now that they're all old and fat?' And then the Hub Network is great because they said, "The Aquabats, why they're old and fat and stupid, they're perfect!'"

Seriously though, while I probably wouldn't like them if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor if I'm being honest with myself, I feel like there's enough signal to noise and enough uniqueness that they're worth supporting. If nothing else you have to appreciate the way this band and concept was a passion project for these guys for so long.
@notanotheralias: in retrospect I think it's very possible it was just a lie to calm me down. Just as well I didn't check in the moment, eh? ^^;

It's almost as if everyone is just making it up as they go... isn't that a terrifying thought?
Friye said:

It's almost as if everyone is just making it up as they go... isn't that a terrifying thought?
Well that's just what happens when you get your news from random shmoes on the internet. Which means that maybe you shouldn't be listening to me either.

Is that giant heat wave that supposed to be unprecedented in most of Europe a thing where you are too? If so then that must really compound the problem. As a Florida Man I can attest to how miserable it is to not have your air conditioner working in the middle of a really hot an humid summer.
I single out Patreon in this instance because it feels like the other CF sites have at least enough sense to have someone who is properly versed in the world of finance to help with the day-to-day maintenance. This doesn't mean Kickstarter et al, aren't flawed, but Patreon seems to lack the understanding that their choices have effects. The best analogy I have so far is a very good home cook deciding to open a restaurant without any business knowledge. It doesn't mean you aren't skilled, it's just that the skills they actually need are not there.

Also, every human being is making it up as they go along. All 7 billion of us now and the billions who came before us. No one has it all figured out, and if they say they do, they're lying. We're all trying to improv and it's up to you do determine how the points matter

notanotheralias said:
As a Florida Man
But not the Florida Man, right?